Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair 1/48

Talen said:
So is Tamiya a easier or harder build than the Academy Corsair you built?

Ive built 2 Tamiyas, they typically fall together, the only area to watch for is the wing joint if you have the wings extended. I tried an Academy Corsair once, It met an unsavory end in the recycling bin.

Talen said:
So is Tamiya a easier or harder build than the Academy Corsair you built?

Yes to the fact the the Academy one was 1/72 scale. It also had some fitting problems with the wing root to fuselage fitting. It was very fussy. I also put int a resin cockpit on that model and that was a huge nightmare but I dunno if that was Academy or Eduard's problem. Other than that the Academy 1/72 wasn't that bad.

But Tamiya's models always seems to just fall into the place. The only problem I have so far is in the videos with the Wing Root and Fuselage but that was my own fault. I didn't dry fit the fuselage together then try dry fitting the roots. What happened was I as a few mm off on putting in my cockpit so it whacked out the fitting when I had to do sanding on the bottom of the cockpit.

Part 7 is where this all happened.

I've been watching the videos, in fact I've wrote a few tips down for future builds of my own. Though you're recent videos have pretty much confirmed why I never decided to get into wargaming, I'd be poorer than I am now. :)

Talen said:
I've been watching the videos, in fact I've wrote a few tips down for future builds of my own. Though you're recent videos have pretty much confirmed why I never decided to get into wargaming, I'd be poorer than I am now. :)

Yeh, And I think I'mma have to buy more... /le sigh To be fair though, it's expensive because it's Games Workshop. The overcharge for their balls of plastic and their business practices really makes it hard for you to order stuff from anyone other than them. When I shop online, I want to add the stuff to my cart and check out. I don't want to have to call up the shop to put in an order. So that pisses me off even more. And I'm really doing this to probably play a couple of games with A.K.E. Then switching over to a real wargaming company that isn't out there to make it as hard as you can to save money and play a game.

Flames of War seems to be cool....got the whole WWII History aspect to it......

Not saying I would ever get into it myself, but if I was to do a game like that, I think I would lean more towards it.

I am kind of surprised that they haven't taken Flames of War and updated it to modern era. US, NATO, Russia, China, etc. That would be cool. Maybe they have, and I just haven't heard of it yet.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Flames of War seems to be cool....got the whole WWII History aspect to it......

Not saying I would ever get into it myself, but if I was to do a game like that, I think I would lean more towards it.

I am kind of surprised that they haven't taken Flames of War and updated it to modern era. US, NATO, Russia, China, etc. That would be cool. Maybe they have, and I just haven't heard of it yet.

Same here. That's why it's attractive to me to check out. I'm not too sure about the modern era stuff since I'm not too use what the background is, but I don't see why they won't some out with a Modern Warfare Supplement or something.

Part 8 - Sanding and Scribing is up. Added to the original topic. :)

Next video is masking with parafilm-M which should be up later today/tonight.

Its good to see that even with scribing tools that you get the odd lump inside of a scribed line (I use dental tools and an old X-acto knife).

Quick aside on wargaming, an interesting wargaming game I found and wish I had the money to invest in it was the Iron Kingdom setting by Privateer Press (I have a few of the D20 RPG adventure books). Its steampunk fantasy so there is mages alongside mechas. http://privateerpress.com/

Talen said:
Its good to see that even with scribing tools that you get the odd lump inside of a scribed line (I use dental tools and an old X-acto knife).

Quick aside on wargaming, an interesting wargaming game I found and wish I had the money to invest in it was the Iron Kingdom setting by Privateer Press (I have a few of the D20 RPG adventure books). Its steampunk fantasy so there is mages alongside mechas. http://privateerpress.com/

Yeh the lumps happen if you don't have direct contact with the line at the correct angle. It happens even with a sewing needle.

I checked out Iron Kingdom and it looks way cool. I just have to stick with one though. I just don't want to spend THAT much money on that hobby. lol And painting and selling doesn't seem much of a living either or even worth it compared to how much I make in real life work.

Still watching..and in fact that video was the first one I watched using my brand new PS3..(which was got for free, the wife got 400 bucks in Best Buy cards for doing that big project that has caused us to have all of those boxes in my garage)

Talen said:
Still watching..and in fact that video was the first one I watched using my brand new PS3..(which was got for free, the wife got 400 bucks in Best Buy cards for doing that big project that has caused us to have all of those boxes in my garage)

WOOT! I think I will be doing more of these but breaks inbetween. As long as at least one person gets something out of it I don't mind. It is a pain though. Takes up more time to make sure I have the cam on and then going into post add about another hour or two to "building the model" lol

Its very much appreciated, even the wargaming and review vids are great to watch. So don't kill yourself , even if you show something like, here is how to scribe a line, show couple examples, then come back to a finished scribing job, that way you're not having to film every little moment.

Talen said:
Its very much appreciated, even the wargaming and review vids are great to watch. So don't kill yourself , even if you show something like, here is how to scribe a line, show couple examples, then come back to a finished scribing job, that way you're not having to film every little moment.

Oh those are my video logs. :) Those I do on some builds so no big. I do the tutorials stuff for SMA when I can as well. I just do a lot of shooting. lol Can't wait to get a real camcorder or one of those really expensive SLRs.

I don't either. The line between cameras and camcorders are blurred nowadays you can get a camera that records vids just fine.

Talen said:
*blink*..you don't use a camcorder?

Nope. HD Webcam and when I have to leave my desk, I switch to a HD pocket cam. I have to do a little adjusting in post to make the vid cleaner sometimes since the webcam wigs out sometimes. But it's YouTube... lol That's a lot you can do without needing big budget equipment.

When I do stuff for clients, they have their own equipment or I rent it for a project. The software is paid for by my clients for doing their projects. So I have to tools to play around with stuff.

Latest posts

Back