Tamiya 1/700 USS Enterprise CV6

Looking good, Igard.
And, at that size, I'm amazed you folded the wings at all.

I know how you feel about working with tiny, the mercury 9 is 1/350 scale. And things are small there, but this ship is half that scale, the photo etch railings are tiny!

Yeah, I kind of feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

Would anyone know what I should do when there is a bend in the guard rail? Should I bend the PE (as I have done), or should I cut it at each corner?

I think bending it is the easy option, but cutting it might get very messy and possibly wasteful.

Q, the clear plastic planes cut surprisingly easily. I was worried they would shatter into several pieces or at least have some shards come off, but they were very clean cuts just using my hobby knife.

Looking great Igard!! Personally, I would bend it. Like you said, you will be toying with the mess of getting it clean cut and the you end up loosing one section for every run that bends!. Got to love the Island in the deck! Did a Uss Randolph 1/700 a while back and that was big fun. Thinking of picking up a 1/350 Essex class and converting it to the 1966 version of the Randolph...my Dad's ship back then!

Keep this going!! ;D

Igard said:
Would anyone know what I should do when there is a bend in the guard rail? Should I bend the PE (as I have done), or should I cut it at each corner?

I think bending it is the easy option, but cutting it might get very messy and possibly wasteful.

I second the others, bend it. If possible, I use the deck or a template cut to the shape, to help get the bend right (or as right as it can be :D )

Coming along nicely! Did you say you've done some washing on the island already? It looks like you have.

Yes yes, bend it...

Fantastic ship you have going here! Those planes will look soooo cool on deck!!!

Ok chaps, thanks for the advice. At least I know I'm on the right track. I've had to put this on hold for a week as I'm working on something for my brothers birthday.

@Baron, I haven't done any paint yet. I'm not sure if this will need a wash. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :)

Well I've been working on this slowly for a while now. Just trying to do little bits each day.

Unfortunately I was taking some pictures of it earlier and realised something.

I'm very, very bored with this model. :(

The kit is poor. It had scratches, missing chunks off parts, injection marks, pits. It's not what I expected from a Tamiya kit.

The PE set I bought is poor. I've worked with some brass PE, and it's much tougher. This is aluminium, and is almost impossible to bend without twisting and breaking.

On top of all that, I'm finding it quite hard to do research on this. Very few of the pictures are dated (I'm looking for pre-war), and those that are are fuzzy and don't tell me anything.

I just don't like where this kit is going. I have so much to do and figure out. It's simply not fun anymore.

It looks like crap, it still doesn't even feel like half done, I've got no idea where I'm going with it.

It's time to move on.

I'll build another ship sometime and hopefully learn enough to go back to this someday, but for now, it remains Queen of the shelf.

Sorry for the long post, just had to bring this to some kind of temporary resolution in my head.

Sounds like a plan Iain!! I your mind and heart isn't in it at this time, best to shelf it and move on! Doesn't make it any easier with the flimsy PE and some kit issues. Time to rip into something quick and fun!!!! Thinking you might even need to "wreck" something!! ;)

Can definitely understand your pain with this build.

WHo knows? Maybe you'll come back to her and make her a wrecked Yorktown, or a sunken Lexington instead of Enterprise.

That's a great idea Q! ;D

Have to say, I feel much better moving on from this. I WILL go back to it though, in whatever form it takes.

Cheers for understanding guys. I was worried that it might come across as whinging! ;D

Not at all. We all have our models that we just don't feel like finishing. I have a couple too. They usually end in the spared bin or the firecracker of doom reaches out and touches them in a special way.

mushroomcloud1.jpg

Ha ha! Bonfire night is coming up here in the UK! ;D

To be honest, I do plan on finishing her, but not as the diorama that I had planned. I'll build a different naval ship first, probably something more modern as I think that might be good practice.

Igard said:
That's a great idea Q! ;D

Have to say, I feel much better moving on from this. I WILL go back to it though, in whatever form it takes.

Cheers for understanding guys. I was worried that it might come across as whinging! ;D

I hear ya, Iain! I started my Essex back in 2006, I think it was. In the end, it's a hobby. We all have kits that we start, lose interest in and come back to. I'll be looking to see your progress on this one, when you do!

Thanks for all your help and support Baron! Wow, 2006! I'll definately consider this as a long term project also. I think the choice of this kit was a bit of a mistake for my first navy build, so watch out for something else in the watercraft forums sometime in the future. Not an aircraft carrier! ;D

Latest posts

Back