Tamiya 1/35 Sd.Kfz.222 (German armored car)

Cave_Dweller

Ok, so I bought this a month or so ago at Hobby Lobby on sale (25 bucks!!!) and I'm finally getting around to starting it. These days, I'm juggling 3-5 projects all at once. Madness I tell you!

6300968276_47c0666a9a_b.jpg

Here's everything all laid out. For $25 this was a high-value kit, as it includes some photo-etched brass parts, diorama pieces, figures and a separate motorcycle! Maybe a diorama here...

6300435709_95789c184e_b.jpg

Basic assembly. Also had a metal gun barrel.

6300970042_6a2601720d_b.jpg

I had to paint the interior first due to the way this kit is assembled. I decided to go with an ugly green color, as most tanks seem to have ugly colors in their interior!

6300971120_06c84371bb_b.jpg

Here's everything primered and ready for more assembly. There's tons of detail pieces to add to the exterior.

6300438983_6afbb4a92d_b.jpg

Here's a closeup of the gun and interior. I applied an oil wash to everything in there. As it will be obscured by figures it wont be seen much,,,

6300972890_fb9d4b08c3_b.jpg

25 bucks is a great price, and I see you have wasted no time on this bad boy.
The work on it looks great! Nice attention to detail!

Thanks guys. Did some more work on it I'll post the photos as soon as I download it to my laptop. I'm traveling for work and then working for a month so I won't get to work on it for a long time. Ah, the sacrifices we must make to support our hobbying!

I was thinking of building the motorcycle and including it in a diorama...and have the bike doing a wheelie or a cookie or some other kind of stunt, with the crew gawking. I dunno, they are nazi soldiers and I almost wouldn't want to add so much humor to some of history's worst villains.

What do you guys think?

Looks like Tamiya has released the OLD kit with a bonus. Nice start so far on the 4 wheeler. The green color I am afraid is incorrect for German vehicles. These vehicles had Elphinbein ( Ivory) interiors, or PanzerGrau. The Turret and gun would be the same color as the exterior since it is an open top vehicle. Only vehicles at the very end may have been dark green, redoxide in color. Hope it's not too late....

scratchmod said:
Looks like Tamiya has released the OLD kit with a bonus. Nice start so far on the 4 wheeler. The green color I am afraid is incorrect for German vehicles. These vehicles had Elphinbein ( Ivory) interiors, or PanzerGrau. The Turret and gun would be the same color as the exterior since it is an open top vehicle. Only vehicles at the very end may have been dark green, redoxide in color. Hope it's not too late....

Thanks man. This is the first time I've ever done a WWII model, and I'm not much of a historian on the vehicles of that era. In fact, I know next to nothing about them!

Allright, finally got around to uploading some pics of it as I left it. Won't get to work on it for a few more weeks as I'm at work in Canada atm.

I painted this with Tamiya acrylics and washed it with AK-Interactive Track Wash (love that wash!). Still has a long way to go and I need to get an oil color to match the acrylic, as I plan on filtering directly over everything and practicing modulation a bit more.

I've experimented with modulation before with some degree of success. It looks cool, but it's hard to eliminate brush strokes and get the subtle effect I've seen on some of the builds in this forum. Practice, practice, practice! ;)

Also, I got some pre-made bases from HobbyLobby and varnished them for dioramas. Cheap and effective, although I should have sanded them down before I varnished! Ooops!

6380260917_848ecaea15_b.jpg

Need to apply decals first thing, and finish up some details such as those water bottles.

6380288687_36cc24109c_b.jpg

Still gotta paint the wheels and the spare tire.

6380312555_278d777ea3_b.jpg

I kept the radiator cover in the back off as this grille has some nice detail that would otherwise be wasted.

6380334593_f1260b3dd1_b.jpg

Coming along nicely. Good to hear about those AK products too. I'm so very near to picking some up, everyone keeps talking so highly about them.

Thanks guys! I noticed some mold lines I need to trim off in a few of those pics, as well as a few other minor details I could fix. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to work this into a desert scene diorama, since it comes with the motorcycle and all the figures.

Great job on your build. I have this kit as well and comes with some nice aftermarket parts. I picked it up to at Hobby Lobby too at a good price with their 40% of coupon. Seeing your build makes me want to get mine out and start building.

Tanker52 said:
Great job on your build. I have this kit as well and comes with some nice aftermarket parts. I picked it up to at Hobby Lobby too at a good price with their 40% of coupon. Seeing your build makes me want to get mine out and start building.

It is a nice little kit but sadly I haven't been motivated to work on it at all...been painting lots of warhammer 40k stuff.

wyoroy said:
Any update on the 222? It's looking great.

Unfortunately no, and I won't likely ever finish it, at least not in time for the contest. It's just sitting on a shelf, in a pile of other unpainted models, mainly war gaming stuff which is ironic as I'm now starting to HATE war gaming. But that's another story!

Latest posts

Back