Tamiya 1:35 Cromwell

Ooh thanks for that, i been wondering what the hell they were. lol

I like the little touches you added to your build, especially the crew and the little 'lucky' horse shoe. :)

TTFN Matt

FUBAR ,

Generally when you get a P.E. set it comes with instructions , I say generally b/c Verlinden is Notorious for Bad /or none at all. The others Edward, Aber, Voyager, & Griffon all come with directions ... some better than others, but that just may be a particular P.E. set & manufacturer. I'm partial to Griffon , but Griffon doesn't make everything. Edward is good stuff .

When/if you get th P.E. set ... don't be afraid to Bomb Us with Questions. All of Us here that dabble in th Black Art of P.E., have been where you are now & had th same questions. Through asking is how ya learn ( at least that's what DaD used to tell Me )

If you are gonna get that set, you may want to invest in some type of P.E. bender & depending on your budget, there are some nice ones out there ! Some of the Guys over there across th pond may be able to direct you to a distributor for th Bender .. but here's some to look for ( also taste in P.E. benders also runs with what th Modeler is comfortable with )

Hold & Fold from Small Shop - https://thesmallshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2 - as you can see .. size differs along with $$

Etchmate - http://www.michtoy.com/item-MSN-21-Etch_Mate_3C_Photo_Etch_Bending_Tool.html

I'm not trying to sell you anything but trying to give you options .... There are a few more Manufacturers of P.E. benders ... I just can't think of any.

Don't be nervous of th P.E. .... there's a bunch here that have used it & don't mind sharing Tips & Tricks !!

or until ya have teh spare pennies use a blade like i do but getting teh right tools does make things a tad easier. Tony Lee "A master at the brass" has a fairly big selection of tools just for brass

Cool panzerace007 thanks for those links. :)

I have to say i'm tempted to try my hand at some PE stuff but it does all seem a little daunting at first glance but i do like learning new stuff. I love those bending tools, i have no idea how you'd use one and they look like little torture devices........i want one. lol

Expect LOTS of questions if i do get a PE set, i haven't done any modelling the last few days because i spent all my time online looking up tutorials and youtube vids for soooo many diff things it's untrue. Tomorrow after work i'm off to look for hairspray?!?!?

Dont ask. lol

TTFN Matt

ya youtube is great, im getting faq2 prob next week from AK interactive its £52 on that site i listed the other day so not cheap but i beleve somone called it the modelers handbook or bible. eiter way im looking forward to it,

if you do get the PE set use super glue to stick them to the kit just put a bit out on somthing and dab a bit of wire on it so ya done have to go messing your kit with a fortune of ca

OK if i'm gonna bite the bullet and try PE then i'm gonna try pigments as well......in for a penny in for a pound. :p

Is there a difference between AK, Mig and Vallejo pigments or do they all work the same way? Also whats the colours i'd need for a European dirt/mud, most of the sets seem to be geared for Russia or North Africa and they dont come cheap either so i wanna get the right pigments if i can.

TTFN Matt

either mig or AK pigs i would recomend, Mig prob have a wider range but ya get more in the AK tubs for the price.

as for what to get Europe dust is a good one for european, Brick dust i quite like, light european earth these wouldbe what i have and there from Mig,

i would say ive no idea about vellajo pigs but i know the ak and Migs are very good. and one ya defo should get is AK dark Steel.

Matt, I have the Small Shop Bug. Fantastic tool. Well worth the money to get some kind of bending tool, makes life easy ;D

fubar said:
OK if i'm gonna bite the bullet and try PE then i'm gonna try pigments as well......in for a penny in for a pound. :p

Is there a difference between AK, Mig and Vallejo pigments or do they all work the same way? Also whats the colours i'd need for a European dirt/mud, most of the sets seem to be geared for Russia or North Africa and they dont come cheap either so i wanna get the right pigments if i can.

TTFN Matt

FUBAR ,

From lookin' over th pigments & using a couple of different brands I can say this :

MIG Productions is chunky & looks great for dirt etc. Great Texture !

AK Interactive - Their pigments are super fine & are Awesome for dusting up a model , although sometimes when mixing with a Fixative the texture can get lost, but still you can achieve Great results ! I've mixed these with the fixative & shot them through th Airbrush before !! That's how fine a grind they are !!

Vallejo - These seem (as I haven't tried these yet) to be a bit more chunkier than th MIG productions & also are great for creating Dirty Textures

All make colors geared for Europe, Russia, & Afrika . Get a few of each & see which ones you like.

P.E. how to's ..... Have ya seen this one on making Workable Hinges ...

- http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/diy/how-to-make-workable-hinges

Oh ! Also if you decide to venture into th P.E. realm ... an Opti-Visor would make a great gift as it saves th Eye Balls from fallin outta Ye 'Ol 'ead !

- http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php - with these .... lots of different manufacturers , I particularly Own this one & I gotta say ,it's really brought just about every facet of My modeling into focus & made Me pay attention to details, but from working with P.E. has been a God Send !!

Parting shot - as far as th P.E. Benders go ( & modeling ingeneral) work with in your means , but th Right tools make all th difference in th world. If you can spare th Coin ... go for it !! Other wise ... a straight razor blade & a steel ruler can equally be your Friend !

Many thanks for the help guys. :)

Well i now have a small selection of Mig pigments and fixer on it's way to me and an Eduard PE set. ;D

Here's hoping i can use em..... lol

Now i need to source myself a cheap but decent PE tool from the UK as the online shop i got the pigs from didn't sell tools as well. ::)

TTFN Matt

Sweet mate, you beat me to it.......i'd actually forced myself away from the internet to start some modelling when i saw your reply. lmao

So is there any real need to get the larger tools or is a 2" tool fine for armour models?
The 4" and 5.5" are very similar in price but they are nearly double the cost of the 2" tool!!! ???

I dont wanna sound tight or nothing but keeping my costs down will be handy if i can avoid unnecessary expense until next pay day. :p

P.S. @panzerace007. That tutorial on working hinges is insane but way cool......i had no idea such results could be had with PE kits. :eek:

TTFN Matt

lol well ive no idea i dont have one ;D i use a blabe and ruler, but the small one would do i think unless you go mad on the pe like Tony Lee, but at the end of the day the better the tools the easier teh job will be. so start small and if you feel ya need teh bigger one down the line then get it

Dito on what Spud said. Like I said I have the small bug and it works great. haven't had to bend big PE yet.

When you say the small bug you mean this thing right?

http://spruemart.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-vmbright.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=5&manufacturer_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

What other tools do i need for working with PE? I have fine cutters, xacto scalpels and various tweezers. Do i need stuff like this...

http://spruemart.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-vmbright.tpl&product_id=113&category_id=5&manufacturer_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Sorry for all the questions. ::)

TTFN Matt

the second thing ild say no to but everyone is differnt start with teh samll tool and go from there

dont forget luckymodel will talke a bit longer on post but its much cheaper at 26$

Latest posts

Back