Tamiya 1:35 Cromwell

fubar

Hi all i'm new to the armour forum and still fairly new to modeling, I've just got back into the hobby after a looong period away and have started a sci-fi kit but felt the call of my old interest in WW2 so have decided to make a few of my favourite tanks as well. ;D

I've just won a Tamiya 1:35 Cromwell MK IV on eBay and was wondering if you guys can recommend any nice but not too difficult AM products that i can look at while i wait for the model to turn up in the post. lol

P.S. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference to buying AM parts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have a good weekend all.

TTFN Matt

Hi Chris

Yeah they look just like the sorta thing i'm after, thats a cool site too with some nice stuff.

Is 1:48 more popular now than 1:35? I been looking for a Sherman M4A1 model in 1:35 but can only find them in 1:48 so far!

TTFN Matt

Hey, Matt

I think 1:48 is starting to become popular since its also pack with details like the 1:35 and its a shelf saver too.

fubar said:
I been looking for a Sherman M4A1 model in 1:35 but can only find them in 1:48 so far!

I think Italeri, Dragon and Tasca all make an M4A1 in 1/35.

Dragon 1/35 M4A1 (76) W (6083)

Saw this one on our LHS, about $20 USD (converted to US currency)

Oh thanks for the info guys, i'll have to widen my search. But thats a good point about 1:48 being a space saver as i'm starting to dissapear under a small mountain of plastic atm! lol

I was just worried that being 1:48 the level of detail wouldn't be as great but from what i can see from those pictures they seem just as good. :D

1/48 has defiantly expanded over the last eight years or whatever, there are tons of good kits in that scale now and many of them are really very detailed.

I built one 1/72 Dragon Sherman and it was amazing even in that small scale. Not the easiest kit to build but it lacked very little.

I widened my search for models and yes there are many makers i've never even heard of before.

Question, why are the Tamiya kits usually (but not always) more expensive? A Challenger 2 model say is like £35-40 but the same tank in the same scale by another company can be like £15-25. :eek:

Does this mean the other makes aren't as good or is there less details or something?

Re: Tamiya 1:35 Cromwell or is it?

Finally got my parcel today and guess what????

IMG_1070.jpg

Wrong model. :eek:

Still the seller says i can keep this one for free because of his mistake, question is which one do i make now? I ordered some AM parts for the Cromwell but i have to say looking over this Sherman kit it does look really nice and detailed.....maybe i need to rename this thread? ;D

TTFN Matt

i think the tamia 1:48 kits are great there cheap and well detaild. ild say build this while you wait on the cromwell

Yip ,Im with Spud ,just start another thread and build this one too ;D

Chris.

Well i may not have the model yet but the AM kit's arrived. lol

IMG_1127.jpg

Looks real nice too.....good call Chris S. ;D

TTFN Matt

Well i decided to get things under way again on this as i've now got all i need to get started. Took a little time to read through everything and take a close look at the resin parts in the AM kit.

b20034ca.jpg
b6b0eb05.jpg

The details on the resin parts look nice up close, only found one part with blow holes in it that will need filling at some point. The hessian tape is gonna be fun to paint, i'm thinking of taking a quick trip up to Bovington and taking a load of ref pics of the Cromwell they have and of the camo displays for some tips.

Turret
01aa772e.jpg

Front hull
a8c933e4.jpg

Lots of stowage
ce6edbc0.jpg

Mystery part.....no idea what this is? ???
eecaf09e.jpg

I see that all the parts are still attached to large blocks of resin still from the casting, how do you safely remove such large chunks of material?

548986c6.jpg

One other thing i noticed but forgot to take a picture of it the hessian cover main gun barrel that comes in the kit, it looks at first glance that the muzzle has the wrong shape when compared to the one in the kit. I may have to do some sort of scratch job on that. ;D

Have to say i'm looking forwards to this, it looks like a nice step up from the Sherman.

Thanks for looking.

TTFN Matt

That Black Dog resin is the business isnt it ;D ;D looks very nice .

There is a couple of ways of removing the pouring stubs . if its not too heavy then scoring with a knife will work ,if its heavy blocks ,then use a razor saw or multitool , BUT Please remember ...Resin dust isnt good for you so ALWAYS wear a mask when cutting or sanding it , sanding 'Wet ' also helps ;)

Looking forward to this one ;D

Chris.

FUBAR ,

Nice lookin Panther Target ! ;D

That Black Dog stuff is th Bizzle ! I really like th look of their stuff. I shoulda grabbed some of their stuff for 251s at th AMPS Nats last April ..... but ...

I'm lookin forward to seein this one !!

I agree with CHRIS , when you start to cuttin on th Resin bits ... Don th Stormtrooper Helmet .. It'll save th 'Ol Lungs !!

TK421 ... Why aren't you at your Post ?

been to bovington once many moons ago it was awsome. that camo shoild prove a chalage looking forward to this, and yes were a mask the stuff stinks and if yer smellin it yer breating it! so get a dust mask wet sand and hover up any dust you have ! ya dont wana be breating it when yer mask is off

Hi Fubar,

wow that resin turret is epic !! :eek:

really looking forward to this build

shane

The mystery pieces are the handles for the fuel cans. Looks like two of them are missing one of the three handles.

I used Verlinden AM kit last year when I did this Cromwell and made my own tarps and bedrolls.

Cromwellfinished011.jpg

Cromwellfinished007.jpg

Latest posts

Back