Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

Unlike some, I'm being a conformist and starting where the instructions tell me to start, the engine!

Building up the engine block shows more detail than you notice during inspection, things like the exhaust ports on the heads, could easily be modeled in a maintenance display without the headers. What's not shown well is any wiring, that'll be coming in the form of solder. Now check this out!
P51D017.jpg
Gaskets for the intake manifold! how neat is that!
P51D018.jpg
Here they are in place.

P51D019.jpg
Here's part of the ducting for the supercharger, housed inside it is a single Nut and two rubber bushings. The Nut is for attaching the engine to the firewall part with a screw. Talk about positive locating pin! Far better than what I was looking at with the Dragon kit which only had two locating pins on either side of the block creating a pivot, you just were not sure where to line that engine up at.

P51D020.jpg
And here we are all build up with a glossing black coat. I'll be knocked down some when I get some washes and detail painting done

P51D021.jpg
If it ever dries with the 100% humidity factor we got around here lately!

Now I have to find a scheme before moving too much further. Need to know the specific aircraft because of the choices inside the cockpit.

I'm really likin' this kit!

:) :D ;D

ooh man.... look at that detail, nice job with the paint, do you plan to put any hoses or lines on the engine?

A good bit of plumbing comes with the kit, but I will be adding electrical stuff as soon as I find a good reference on it.

lol i presume them gaskets are covered. imo kinda pointless. but its a neat little feture all the same

Wow, that is really night and day compared to the Dragon engine. Really impressive. You'll make that look fantastic. Nice work.

spud said:
lol i presume them gaskets are covered. imo kinda pointless. but its a neat little feture all the same

They are but they surely do add to the wow factor. And like I said, if a crafty modeler wanted to show this engine broken down in maintenance those gaskets would be very handy. I'm not that modeler on this build, maybe one in the future.

Here's what I have discovered this evening.

There are no ignition wires represented. The two distributors...if that's what they are called...on either side of the block have location pins for something to be attached to them. There are also indentations on the heads where the spark plugs would be. This tells me Tamiya has plans for more parts, maybe a aftermarket upgrade set??

I'm scratching mine, using simulate nuts and bolt heads for the spark plugs and a small amount of soldering to make the conduit and wiring. I'll have pictures if I get it right..or not if I screw it up!!! ;D

Yes... definitely either verlinden or legend will produce aftermarket for this one...

Plug wires and boots from a 1/25 auto distributor kit would work. Some would think they were oversized, for a 1/32 aircraft, but they would be bigger in RL than a regular car spark plug wire anyway....so should be dead on.

Can't wait for it Scott, not when there's brass laying around the place.

I love Brass...

I tried to do this out of Plastistruc stock but just couldn't get the bends as consistent as I can with brass.

Working with .8mm solid rod for the ignition conduit with 1.0mm brass tube cut very thin for couplings and fittings. Nevermind the cracked silver paint job..I'll take care of that later. :drinks
P51D022.jpg
P51D023.jpg
P51D024.jpg
P51D025.jpg

The spark plugs are going to be the simulated nut/bolt from Scale Hardware with a spacer in between the head and the sparkplug hex fitting. now to find the right size wire to go from spark plug to the conduit.

I'm basing this off various pictures on the google search of Packard V1650. I see that there were a couple of variances on the routing of the conduit so I see it as an inexact issue.

yeah, lets see how cleaver I am when I try and make the wires connecting the conduit to the plug. :eek: I'm already rethinking that part...

Here's the deal though, I'm sort of stoked at Tamiya for not having anything for ignition system other than the distributor. Not only that, they make it obvious there will be an "upgrade" package because of the locator pins where the ignition conduit is suppose to be. Upgrade, aftermarket is one thing. Blatantly omitting highly visible parts and offering them as aftermarket (if that's what they intend to do) is just wrong.

Nothing new for Tamiya really, but this should be the same engine that is in the MkXVI Spitfire, and they didn't release an upgrade set post kit release for it. But one never knows.

Latest posts

Back