Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 Zero Fighter Zeke

Myke

An old buddy of mine on here named Fruit gave me an awesome deal on a kit (like I can't even repeat the deal it was THAT good). With it he included some nice gifts including the cockpit masks, and a paper model of kit too!! Fruits only condition was that I built it up as best I can, and to do a nice build log. I hope to deliver on this, and I always have high expectations for myself, so I'm also going to add the full BIG ED set from Eduard, and a few other goodies here and there!

Here it goes Fruit!!!!!

IMG_20130302_120305_zpsb0c01e55.jpg

IMG_20130302_120718_zps6b5119b4.jpg

Gotta love a good Zeke build!!! Getting comfy with my popcorn right now!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Very ambitious Myke, your gonna have your hands full. I've contemplated all of the tamiya 1//32 kits but i reckon I'd need a good 6-9 months to finish one up. Can't wait too see it, the mustang and spitfire seem to be the most popular in this scale, so nice to see zero for a change.

Thanks for following along everyone.

TRM - you're going to need a lot of popcorn.

Chapter 1:

The Beginning:

Everyone and there brother has seen this kit, and if you would like a good review, let me know, I can certainly point you to 10 or 100 that are better than I can do.
I love everything about this kit, the multimedia parts, the ingenuity of the design, incorporation of moving parts, and the ability to move those parts to configure the model, once completed, to various positions. Flaps, engine cowl, landing gears up/down, you can do it all. With all that I love about the kit, I'm going to need a little more in the form of detail. I plan to cut some panels up, throws a bunch of detail at it, and weather appropriately.
I have decided to take the normal route of preparation and building as all aircraft modellers would, and start with the base.

Truth be told I didn't want to start on anything until my BigEd set arrived today so this is about all I could do.

IMG_20130303_165031_zpse210e719.jpg

The PE plate is a nice touch and even though not part of the contest entry itself, it will get painted and make a nice addition to the shelf.

IMG_20130303_165722_zps1393fcf5.jpg

Had to sand out the nasty seam lines, these are on both sides.

IMG_20130303_170307_zpscf0e80af.jpg

This is the top of the stand where the screw is secured between the two pieces. This is then screwed into the bottom of the kit to attach to the base.

IMG_20130303_171347_zpsff053773.jpg

And viola, a completed base in 15 mins. This entire base will get a mirror finish of chrome later in the build.

IMG_20130303_171928_zps4cac8b69.jpg

Now it's time to get down to some proper work. BigEd set is here, off to the engine!

IMG_20130304_232246_zpse4361bb1.jpg

IMG_20130304_232620_zps84185eca.jpg

I think this is the smallest of the PE sets. I have how long? Three months? ;D

Thanks for following.

Plenty of time!! Nice choice starting with the base and the name plate is fitting! When the smoke clears I might have to pick one of these up...with the goodies of course!! ;)

This looks cool.
Are you going to make it badly damaged or straight from the factory floor?

Cheers

Hey Myke! This is awesome, I knew you'd get around to it eventually! I've been gone lately, and will be super busy up until June, but I'll definitely make sure to drop in everyday to check out the progress on this one. I know you'll do it justice man ;D

Thank you all for following along and the nice compliments.
Biskup: It will have some decent weathering on it. Nothing super crazy but I think it has to have some battle damage with the way paint peeled off of these things with minimal effort.

Fruit: Glad to see you around still mate!!! Sorry you are so busy. I know the feeling though man. Working about 70 hours a week myself.

As you all can tell I've been doing some live building on UStream as I go along. Before I go live I'll drop a note in here to let you know so feel free to set email notifications if you are interested. Not sure how it looks but if anyone wants to tune in I'll be happy to answer questions or have a chat. I did this last year until my work project went live a month ahead of time and I never got to finish anything.

Thanks again for tuning in. Photos will be up later tonight.

Very nice kit. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. I just checked out you live feed. Looks like the engine cowling has many pieces but once finished the details are going to look great. This looks like one of the highlights of this kit.

Latest posts

Back