Tamiya 1/12 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

Elm City Hobbies

Built this probably 4-5 yrs back. Friend of mine used to love riding his motorcycle, but due to an odd medical condition that affects his balance, he can't anymore, so I built this for him.

First motorcycle kit I even did (and only one thus far). I stripped the chrome parts and re-chromed with Alclad, as there were some heavy mold lines on the parts, otherwise built pretty much out of the box.

IMG_5116-vi.jpg

IMG_5118-vi.jpg

IMG_5120-vi.jpg

IMG_5127-vi.jpg

IMG_5132-vi.jpg

IMG_5133-vi.jpg

IMG_5134-vi.jpg

IMG_5135-vi.jpg

IMG_5137-vi.jpg

IMG_5139-vi.jpg

Thanks Tony,

Easy to do when you start with such a great kit. While the old adage of Tamiya kits being a "shake 'n bake" kit, this one truly is, almost built itself.

Oooh a motorcycle ;D Very nice ...I love it ,have'nt seen one of those Virago's in years ...either model or 1:1 so its good to see a well built example .

Chris.

Lovely job on that Virago, a real sweet finish................makes me wanna dig out my part built `Repsol Honda`and finish it : ;)

`Boots`

Nice, was this the one with the redneck rider figure, I so nearly bought that many times all those years ago when it was first released.
Cracking job on that, I had the 535 for a while and it looks very much like the real thing

m1ks said:
Nice, was this the one with the redneck rider figure, I so nearly bought that many times all those years ago when it was first released.
Cracking job on that, I had the 535 for a while and it looks very much like the real thing

No, no rider in that kit. Thought the rider was in the Honda Vulcan kit. That is if it is the one I am thinking about....bandana, long hair, beard....

ELM,

Great lookin Bike ! I love that sheen you got on th Seat !! This thing really PoPs !! Cool Decals for th instruments !!

Bad AZZ !, Dude !!

The seat is basically just Humbrol Gloss Black, painted it the same time I did the base coat for all the chrome prior to an Alclad Chrome treatment.

While I almost exclusively use acrylics, Humbrol Gloss Black is about the best Gloss Black out there IMO.

The instruments are decals that come with the kit, but what I added to them was once the decals were in place, I have about 5-6 layers of future to make it look like glass over the instruments.

Tamiya Bike kits are actually really, really nice. They sort of take a different mind set to build and paint, but go together very well, and look great when they are done. Got a couple more here to do some day.

thats class. ive only ever built 1 bike and it was so long ago i cant remember how it turned up but i do remember it being a Tamiya Dakar bike

Great Looking Bike!!! Shooting the alclad makes a huge difference!!!

Elm City Hobbies said:
m1ks said:

No, no rider in that kit. Thought the rider was in the Honda Vulcan kit. That is if it is the one I am thinking about....bandana, long hair, beard....

Definitely the XV1100, as per this pic. Never saw a riderless one in my then LHS, just this one but it was pricey for me at the time and I know I wouldn't have done it justice then.
Like rocking horse excreta to get now though. :(

My apologies, just re-checked and it isn't the 1100, its the XV1000

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/tamiya14052k.jpg/

Ahh well, they must have released it twice, once (and I assume the original release) with the rider, and once later on without, as mine definitely didn't come with a rider.

Latest posts

Back