tabletop size for 1/72 or 1/100 miniatures?

Swanningabout

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
I'm thinking of getting back into miniatures wargaming (WWII, probably North Africa or Soviet Front) using my big army of 1/72 vehicles and figures or maybe starting a new one with 1/100 Zvezda equipment. Is a table top of 2 x 3 feet workable for either scale? I may simply make up some fairly crude rules of my own, just for fun. I've been under the impression one really needs a table of 4 or 5 feet square, but what do you all think?

May want to get closer to 4x4.
2x3 may seem big, but once you get those figures on it, it fills up quick

When I was in my teens, I had a Waterloo wargame, using Airfix' figures, and I used a full 4x8 sheet of plywood. I was fortunate that my parents let me have space in the basement to set this up.

I agree with Quaralane--once you start adding figures, you'll eat up room pretty quick. Unless you use figures as counters, that is, a single tank represents a company, five figures on a base represent a platoon, and so on.

I played a lot of wargames and we always used 4*8 feet tables and they were big enough for some larger scale battle with the flames of war stuff which is 1/100 scale but if you are thinking in 1/72 with lots of tanks and figures you will need an even bigger table like two of the 4*8 boards so you can play smaller battles and by adding the other table you can play in bigger battles.Belive me 4*8 is the minimum if you want to play confortable.With a smaller table you will be frustrated cos it can become overcrowded quickly if you want to use more than 2 or 3 tanks with more than 20 figures.

Latest posts

Back