Sturm-Infanteriegeschutz 33B

MaschinenKrueger

You want MaK with that?
This is my latest completed armor project. It is one of my favorite armor designs and have been wanting to build this for a few years. The base kit is the Dragon 6749 from 2013. There was quite a bit of unexpected work to correct and detail the base kit. Panzer Tracts 8-1 has been invaluable for this build.

The StuiG 33s were based on refurbished StuG III ausf B thru E hulls. Dragon conveniently provides you with a PzIII J hull with side escape hatches. Thanks Dragon. I also had to correct the armored brackets that hold the sliding gun plate, added some missing welds, and scratch built the gun travel lock which was incorrect in the kit and the Voyager set.

stuig07.jpg

The kit provides the Ausf E style small hinge brake access hatches. The ref photo I am working from shows the earlier large hatch hinges. I used parts from an old Dragon Imperial StuG B and cobbled together hatch hinges from the spares box. The travel lock sits right on top of the access plate. It is unclear if this was welded or bolted shut. Most likely bolted as they still needed to service these things since the transmissions were already old. This isn't an issue on the small hinge versions as the mount is right in between the knuckles.

stuig09.jpg

The base coat of gray paint and scratches was kept pretty simple. No point in a bunch of modulation with a planned white wash. Markings are airbrushed with Alliance Model Works stencils.

stuig_02.jpg

Heavily worn white wash and running gear covered with mud and grease are the norm so I wanted to create something a little different. Given these were deployed in the winter of 41/42, I opted for a mostly intact white wash and snow-crusted running gear. The snow is a mixture of Woodland Scenics Snow, Marble Powder, Acrylic Gel, and Gloss Medium. A couple of different mixtures/consistencies were mixed up and applied with a small brush or toothpick. I'm going to call this one done for now until I can spend some quality time and refine and paint the planned figure.

BTW- If you are keeping note of track sag, there is only 1 link difference between the in-progress and the final images. Makes quite a bit of difference.

stuig_01.jpg

stuig_02.jpg

stuig_04.jpg

stuig_08.jpg

stuig_10.jpg

stuig_11.jpg

Additional images can be found here: Sturm-Infanteriegeschütz 33B

Quite convincing .
... Something tels me this isn't your first build ;D

And about that one-track-length difference ; yeah - one link can seem to be a football field when it's most unwanted ( or needed )

Are you doing only one fig ?

BTW - I have been intrigued by this AFV since I discovered it only recently -- good to know of the reference you used .

Cheers !

Yeah, I've built a couple of models before this. ;)

Only one fig... for now. I might put this on a snowy base.

The Panzer Tracks book has only a few pages devoted to this tank - the rest is about the "Brumbar"- but what is there is very useful. Only 24 of these were ever built and photos are pretty rare. A web search should hook you up.

You mean too bad it's not another StuG. ;-) I have an Ausf F planned but can't decide how to finish it. Also have an Ausf G initial in the pile. So tempted to start both.

Latest posts

Back