Stug IV

Erevos

Hello fellow modellers! It's my first post on the forums.

I am currently making a stug iv which will be placed in Italy during spring 1944.
x1dlbr.jpg2v2bn6o.jpg
I've constructed it and just painted it according to a camo I found on a book. I will be uploading the weathering progress here to get some opinions.

I also got some figures- tank crew (gray ones on the picture) I will place within ithe tank's diorama. Do they have to be field gray? (They are not SS troops)
8xmtjq.jpg

Also, I went on with a camouflage that has a unit insignia and I dont know exactly where to place it on the tank.
ogb3n6.jpg

First , Welcome Aboard ;D

The kit instructions will show you where to place the vehicle markings .
The soldiers and crews do not wear a unit identifier per se . Heer and other Wehrmacht wear their rank on the epaulet and collar as well as the upper sleeve .
Their positions indicated by the color -- pink for armor , red for artillery etc .

Here is a sample : Search Google Images for " Wehrmacht uniforms " " insignia " etc

heerinsignlow.gif

800px-Wehrmacht_uniforms_and_insignia.jpg

There was quite a mish-mash in uniform colors and material , especially later in the war so all field gray works as well as a mix .

Check out the pixs on Google .

http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php is a good site if you want to research further .

Hope this helps ,
Look forward to seeing it !

Tschuss

Thank you very much, it was really helpful for me. I found this camouflage https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iu9fbkulyc0bwp/received_1271055936256093.jpeg?dl=0 (upper tank)
with the insignia top right and I tried to make this

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rl7qhtyawzfaa1p/AACouqnQRiKjhFBep0MDiaa-a?dl=0

In this case where shouldi put the insignia?

You're asking where to put the hull number for the Stug ?

Most likely where it is indicated in the instructions ,, unless you are trying to recreate a specific tank and battalion ?

You can of course do more of the Google -- I ain't no expert on the Stug .
I highly recommend asking over at http://armorama.com/ if you're not familiar already with it .. I get questions answered all the time over there . 8)

Alright I will check it. In the first link I uploaded its clear where to put the numbers etc. But on the top right corner of the image is the unit insignia of this camo variation, which is not indicated on the tank. That's what I am trying to figure out where to place it

Ah ! , yeah ;) I don't know a lot about those details .

There's guys over @ Armorama that know all that stuff up and down ;D . I don't have a head for it - I purposely build krazy stuff so I don't have to worry about historical accuracy .
I enjoy reading the discussions about though ...

.... I'm guessing that emblem goes at the rear right ? of the casemate ???

Ok then! So I should make the crew field gray to be accurate. Does the camouflage i sprayed on my kit look like the one inthe picture? Of course I will weather the kit later on but I was stuck for a while because of my "discomfort" about the realism of the camo.

The camo looks realistic . If you're going for it to be closer to the sample photo , I would tone down the green with more yellow . - of course , we can't see the roof of the sample art :-\

Looks convincing and mimics what would have been in service at that time - if that's your concern . ?

I think the field gray uniforms are OK , but like I say ,I'm no accuracy hound . Not currently , but I support doing your best to be accurate . So definitely ask more than me if that's important ;)

I add a pic of your build for the audience :

O_f2lmsqRBTr95XWomaiMvRkZjLpA83gIkqDGs4IFSA

Actually you are the second person to tell me about the field gray uniforms. And I know that SPG crews wore field gray, so I think its enough to convince me. During weathering I will try to put more yellow. Thanks again for your helpful comments, I will be uploading my progress here

The camo looks good the way it's sitting . It has a good balance .

I think the only place you might lighten it with the yellow is on the schurzen . But that's just going from the reference art ... anyway - it will all change with the weathering ;)

i'm really looking forward to seeing more of this kit soon, please keep posting!

Latest posts

Back