Studio Scale Shuttle GAL356

dbhs

I've been working on the studio scale BSG Shuttle GAL356 kit for a while now. Getting close to wrapping up the construction on this. I got most of the top and port side done this weekend.

GAL356-60.JPG

I have a WIP thread on my site here with more pics. http://www.hanshortes.com/dbhsmodeler/index.htm

Big thumbs up to you. That is (as my kids would say) Uber-cool.

I was lucky to get this kit since it was only available for a short time. It's amazingly accurate.

I ordered some plastic coated wire from Plastruct to detail out the piping on the sides and top.

I have a weeks worth of catching up to post up here. I'm finally done with the building and will start the final painting next.
As always, thanks for looking.

Front bottom side details installed.
GAL356-68.JPG

Overall shots and primer in progress.
GAL356-69.JPG

GAL356-70.JPG

GAL356-71.JPG

Landing gear built. The landing gear is tough and really hard to see how it held up to the abuse of filming. There's hardly any surface area where the glue is holding the parts together. .....It's the miracle of super glue.
GAL356-72.JPG

Canopy parts all installed.
GAL356-73.JPG

All of the "to be painted separately" pieces hot-glued on their sticks.
GAL356-74.JPG

Primer completed on all parts.
GAL356-75.JPG

GAL356-76.JPG

GAL356-77.JPG

Thanks guys. I ordered paint last night so I can start experimenting with the colors to use. I'm using an airbrush (for the first time) and trying to figure out how much paint I'll need.
I'll be using modelmaster enamels. My research suggests that mixing 50-50 with thinner is about right for spraying. My guess is somewhere around 4-6 of the 1/2 oz bottles mixed 50-50 will yield 4-6 oz. to spray.

If anyone has suggestions or rules of thumb, let me know. Thanks.

I would drop by the painting section of the forum. There is a lot of good information over there about mixing paint for an airbrush.

Last night I use one of the testor model master enamel paints in my air brush straight out of the bottle. It worked fine, but not great. It did need a little bit of thinner to work better.

I don't like using the enamel paints in the air brush. It is a pain to clean out afterwards. I have used the model master acrylic paints quite often. They are air brush ready, and clean up is pretty easy afterwards. I just run a mixture of ammonia and alcohol through the air brush afterwards and that usually does the job.

Latest posts

Back