Studio Scale Cylon Raider

dbhs

After a year off on this one it's back for painting.

CRSS-52.JPG

More on my site at the bottom of the raider page......
http://www.hanshortes.com/dbhsmodeler/

-Doug

Amazing work but.. if I may appear so lame as to inquire just what scale is "studio scale"? I have seen several references to it but have not seen any data as to the actual scale.

"studio scale" just means it is exactly the same size as the original studio filming model...whatever scale that was. In this case I understand the scale to be 1:35. The wing span of this model is 17". This one is a kit, BTW, and not scratch built, though I modified it a bit to be more accurate to the filming model.

It's possibly my most favorite ship design and a "must have" for me in studio scale.

Wow, it's really wonderful. Great jub so far. Looking forward to the paintjob. 8)

Wow, that is great work. I was just browsing your studio scale raider gallery, the damaged wing looks perfect. looking forward to folowing up on your build.

Hey, Doug! I didn't know you were a member here too! I hope this isn't the Raider you posted on studioscale modeler last year. PM sent.

Yes, Sir. It's the same Raider and finally back on track.

The upper wing stripes didn't come out quite as I had hoped so i masked them again and repainted them tonight. Luckily none of this marred the adjacent paint. The slight asymetry of the stripes is intentional to match the finish on the studio Raider I'm duplicating.

CRSS-63.JPG

CRSS-64.JPG

Really cool model. One of these days I will have to watch the series.
Cheers
Lukasz

Ok, now we're getting to the really fun part. (been waiting to get to this point)

Tucked away in an obscure drawer at work I found a stash of vintage Chartpak graphic tape exactly like the stuff used to do the Cylon insignias on the studio Raiders. As luck would have it the glue on the tape was petrified and useless but I was able to find some new Chartpak tape in nearly the same color. I saved a sample of the old stuff for reference and the new tape is just a slightly darker shade of green. The decals that came with the kit are almost an exact match for the vintage tape, BTW. Props to the kit makers !!

I decided to go ahead with using the new tape for the insignias to get it just a little closer to replicating the original studio model. The insignia is on there slightly crooked intentionally. I scaled the images of the original in AutoCAD and made a template to get the size and placement as accurate as I could. It took a while to get this one on in just the right place. Will do the other side tomorrow night.

Thanks for looking.

CRSS-65.JPG

CRSS-66.JPG

Cool. Great call to go with the genuine, vintage material. Another touch of class to this great build.

Latest posts

Back