Stripping paint from resin

fubar

Hello all

I have a project thats all gone a little wrong and i'm wanting to start from scratch if poss.

It's a resin kit that has been primered, painted with 3 separate coats of paint, had AK chipping fluids applied and a final coat of paint applied. Is there some way in which i can strip all that off of the kit without damaging it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TTFN Matt

The chipping fluid is cracking the paint all over, i guess thats how it works.....but also i'm not sure the 'chipping' effect fits with the model....i'm after more of a worn polished look.

146ed324.jpg
2fc38333.jpg
b08e0b19.jpg
aef1deb4.jpg

TTFN Matt

ahh looks like you hadny let it dry propper.

use warm water and a old tooth brush to remove the paint were you sprayed the chipping fluidit may take a bit of elbo grease. soaK the gun it the wather for a few mins, Just not hot water because that could damage the resin whe you take it out.

Matt,

You can soak it in Fairy power spray or Mr Muscle oven cleaner ,let it sit in the solution for about 20-30 mins then wash off ,it will clean it back to the resin ...or primer depending on what primer you used and wont effect the resin ....Fairy power spray I found to be the best tho' ;)

Chris.

oh nice Mr S thats handy to know. i knew you would turn up with a better answer

Thanks for the replies guys.....guess it's back to the drawing board for me, not sure how's best to get the worn metal look i'm after. Had hoped chipping was the way but it just didn't look right. ::)

TTFN Matt

one coat will give you light chipping. and it will work after a few days. i sprayed the back door of the vw a few days ago with the chipping and just done the paint on it now and i gave it a light ribbing with a brush. and this is what i got.
IMG_0788.jpg
i recomend you try it on a bit of scrap, also try out Hair spray withh do teh same with requires more work., aslo try that on scrap!

To be honest Matt ,I dont think chipping is the way to go on a gun . They seem to wear more that chip ,why not try some of AK Interactive 'Steel' pigments ,its fantastic stuff and just needs rubbed on like graphite to give a brilliant metal finish ;)

Chris.

Thanks guys, that chipping looks well nice spud what sorta brush did you use?

Yeah Chris thats what i thought when i saw the effect on the gun.....just didn't look right somehow. ::)
As luck would have it i got some AK Dark Steel for my tank build and just gave it a very quick try out on the scope for the gun.....heres what i got (ignore the chipped bits, i tried the pigs on the bracket edge and screw heads)

bc9b1387.jpg
add2ea6a.jpg

Like you said it looks far more natural to me, will the effect dissapear tho if i varnish it or will i need to apply some sort of fixer?

TTFN Matt

I dont think the effect will disappear ,spray a little clear on to see before you strip the gun again , but just put it on in light coats ;)

Chris.

Matt i used an old flat brush i cut short to make it a little bit stiffer 8)

I got some of that Fairy Power Spray today, whacked some on, left it 30 mins and it took off about 60% of the paint first pass.....thats a seriously powerful Fairy ;D

I've given it another coating to try and remove the more stubborn paint.....would it be ok to leave it over night or will it ruin the model do you think? It's obv very strong this stuff and dont wanna find just a puddle of resin come the morning! lol

TTFN Matt

Matt ..I havent tried overnight soaking ,but I've never found the need , so I really couldnt tell you what effect it might have over that period ,you could leave a bit of scrap resin in it overnight just to see what happens , I have left plastic in it for hours tho ...maybe 6-7 hrs to strip stubborn chrome and it had no effect on the plastic ..Oh yeah ,it doesnt effect the glue either ;)

Chris.

@Chris S OK mate thanks for that, just wondered as i got several stubborn areas where i was a little too dedicated in my paint application! ;D

@panzerace007 Cheers dude.....awesome clip by the way, that reminds me i need to buy all my old Balck Sabbath records again on CD. :)

Black Sabbath Iron Man(Live in Paris 1970)

TTFN Matt

Latest posts

Back