Stormcat-Figure Model Conversion

Quaralane

Okay, with the Starfury buttoned up and done, it's time to start the next build.
This one is also for the SMA Big Spring Contest.

I'll be working with the old Toybiz "Storm" kit, but modifying it based on inspiration I got from the HUGE feet this figure has.
Going to be removing the heels to make "cat feet," then giving her a tail and cat ears to set her apart.
I'll also likely be giving her sword blades on the daggers the kit is using.

We start with the obligitory "proof of unstarted" sprue shot with date.
I apologice for the lack of detail, but the kit's molded in black plastic.
Stormcat-SMA-00.jpg

Major sub-assembly work is done, as well as the beginnings of seamwork
Stormcat-SMA-01.jpg

Assembled all but the forearms to get an idea how bad the seams on her legs and neck were.
Quick answer: Very bad
Stormcat-SMA-02.jpg

Using my razor saw and a grinding bit in my Dremel, I cut something resembling toes into her feet.
Stormcat-SMA-03.jpg

First run of major seamwork. Aves Apoxie Sculpt has been applied to the joints on her legs, neck, and the hols where her cloak would have attached.
I've also feeling the holes left when I cut off her boot heels.
Stormcat-SMA-04.jpg

Youtube link:
Stormcat Conversion-SMA 2013-Part One

Afraid she won't be looking much like Storm when I get done with her, Cave_Dweller.
And, had her FEET not been size 18s, I might have kept the heels.

All right, update time....

Got the worst of the seams sanded down now.
I've also cut sword blades from sheet styrene and inserted them into a groove I cut in the handles of the figure's knives.
I've also inserted a small piece of styrene into the notch of her index finger and sanded that down.
Stormcat-SMA-05.jpg

I cut off the top 3/4" or so from the stock kit base to use for my display.
Here's a rough mockup of how things sit. (Her arms are NOT glued in at this point)
Stormcat-SMA-06.jpg

Using a candle and cold water, I bent a piece of sprue to act as her tail. Then I drilled a hole at the base of her spine and glued it into place.
After some thought, I decided to go ahead and use the kit's hair piece.
Give her kind of an anime feel
Stormcat-SMA-07.jpg

Using Aves Apoxie Sculpt, I went in and sculpted some anime-style ears under her hair, then added more hair to the back of her scalp and flowed it into the rest
Stormcat-SMA-08.jpg
Stormcat-SMA-09.jpg

After the first batch was done, I decided I needed more "filler hair" coming up the underside of the kit piece.
The grooves were cut to simulate the flow of hair with a dampened exacto knife.
Stormcat-SMA-10.jpg

Lastly for now, I decided to use some more Aves to sculpt in some better toes.
Stormcat-SMA-11.jpg

Youtube link:
Stormcat Conversion-SMA 2013-Part Two

That is looking great Q... almost looks like Cheetara from the Thundercats now! :) Meeeeeeeooooooowwwwwwww! :)

Thanks, Scott.

The build progresses a little.

Got the first primer coat on her.
It also showed me some flaws in her hair and legs that needed fixing.
I did that by brushing some old tube glue into the seams, and then sanding
Stormcat-SMA-12.jpg

Primer touched up, showing me that the worst of the seams are now, more or less, completely gone
Stormcat-SMA-13.jpg

Made my first attempt at preshading.
On her sword blades, I airbrushed camouflage grey along the edges. Then, due to issues with the airbrush, I would up hand painting a black section into the middles of the blades.
On the figure itself, I hand brushed the black into the areas I thought would need it. (again, due to issues with the airbrush that now have me waiting on parts)
Stormcat-SMA-14.jpg
Stormcat-SMA-15.jpg

Youtube link:
Stormcat Conversion-SMA 2013-Part Three

Latest posts

Back