Still in the Game - RX-77-2 Gun Cannon

This really speaks to me. Most Gundam modelers from Japan do an awesome job but they do them WAY too perfect. My signature style incorporates traditional armor modeling to give a realistic appearance which is where you have gone with this. Looking forward to the finished presentation.

Thank you gentlemen! The encouragement is worth it's weight in gold!

I agree with you John! Something about going into something as a complete novice works sometimes. ;)

Brian - I can see the allure of creating one of these pristine as they are intriguing items to look at. I was a bit worried that I would offend some for this reason. This happens sometime in the armor world. I went into the build actually looking at this as one of the first suites out and still in service....not to mention just trying to have fun and build something!!!

I have maybe a filter going down in a bit and some other weathering later on and I will be real close! I am mirror-blogging this over on MSC as well and I like a rubble type setting to set it in. Nothing to over the top but just enough to place it in time.

I don't think the Gundam peeps are that worried about dirtying up their suits so to speak. I have seen more than one with some dirt and dings to it. Int he anime, they did get beaten up and broken

I am going to do a practice run on something for the post apocalypse build in the next week or two before I paint up my RX.

Just remember when you build out your base that this thing is ginormous so scale your base accordingly. It is a guy in a suit, but a VERY big suit. The gun on this thing is about half the size of a fighter jet. You saw the comparison I did with my kit review and these two are about the same size.

I've been around people dedicated to gundam and have quite a few issues of Japanese hobby magazines that feature quite a few of them, and I see a lot of dirty and beat up suits. From my experience ( which is not that exhaustive :p ) there are more people that appreciate a nicely weathered and worn suit than not.

So wreak them all up ;D . Most people will certainly appreciate the excellent work you did with this one.

Thanks again John and Rav, my eyes are opened a bit more now. My initial searches and what not, did not produce many that looked too well worn. I can appreciate the the information you guys have come across from mags, shows and other venues would be a bit more comprehensive to say the least!

So Rav...wrecking things is what I like to do!!!

John, I do remember the plane/Gundam comparison, and I was thinking that the other day in the dungeon when I was painting. The only thing I have that is 1/144 is a Lancer wingy-thing. With that and Jim's Hobby Calculator I am taking this into consideration. BTW, the calculator is great, because it is quick and dirty conversion.....need to know how thick 3/4" in 1/35 and milimeters..type type and your there!!

OK off to draw up some sort of devastation for this thing! ;)

You don't have much to do to obtain a correct 1/144 diorama. First you alway have the choice to do something simple, with vegetation (some trees can be big, from HO scale railroad models), buildings (in NO scale from railroad models), factory or hangar (Kotobukiya have a bir range of kits like that), ruins...

Here I can provide some help.
I've done a diorama for my 1/144 First Grade Zaku II (char's model).
For this project I simply use some PC monitor parts I found on the ground. Some people smash the TV and monitors that were trhown up, so there is plenty of opportunities for me to gather pieces when I'm out.
This look like that...
DSC06674.jpg

You'll understand what you can do with it if I show you this picture...
DSC06675.jpg

Then what ?
I took a car circuit toy, I found on the ground too (I find a lot of things actually), completed the bridge like a broken one (the road is made with sand paper), add little rocks, wood powder and stuff and "voila".
DSC08997.jpg
DSC09104.jpg
DSC09186.jpg

Another simple example. I took the top of the package of one of our famous cheese, the "camembert". It's wood base, and a circle. I placed and glued some "ardoise" a rock that was used to manufacture our ancient board in classroom, add some paste made from wood powder, give it a shape of a lanscape, with footprints (Zaku footprints) and from this...
DSC09043.jpg

With some white primer, chestnut ink and a white drybrush you obtain that...
DSC09174.jpg

Hope that can open your mind to endless possibilities :)

LOL...Alaways a bit open minded.

Great job on the dio Youli! Even better was the recycled parts...nice find! I will try and get an update to where I am a little bit later. For the majority I am using plastic card but am adding a few doo dads I am digging up around the shop!

Picard Voice : "Make it so !"
;D ;D ;D

I have to say that you are consistently an excellent scale modeller, no matter what the genre. You have not disappointed with your gunpla build. Half the time i am inspired by you. But half the time, i want to throw my hands up and say "I am never going to get to that level."

Thank you very much for the kind words SMD...very encouraging! Us modelers tend to be our own worst critics, ey?! ::) Enjoy what you build...build what you want!! That is the "half" of it...the other "half" having fun...LOL, shoulfd make it 100% enjoyably fun! ;D

I have a wash down and will be be adding some dirt, grime, streaking and what not and will be getting some pics up soon. The building is somewhat underway and I will continue to plug away at it.

;)

Latest posts

Back