Still in the Game - RX-77-2 Gun Cannon

TRM

Here we go! This is my entry into the "G" GB...RX-77-2, to get the ball rolling. I am not completely sure as to the direction on this but am looking forward to giving it a try. I think I have mentioned this before but, I have not built anything in this genre before....at all. So this will be a learning curve for me.

The Kit:

3-25-12102.jpg

The kit was given to me by a friend. He has seen some of my past works and though it would be interesting to see what it would turn out like, so he gave it to me and said "make something of this". LOL!!! Funny man!! So I will. He bought the kit a show earlier this year for next to nothing. The previous owner made an attempt to start but fail after that. I will try to correct a couple of the glued parts and seperate others and preform some scrathwork where necessary.

Looking forward to starting soon. I need to get a little further along with a couple of other projects going on as well, so don;t expect to much on this too soon!!

Good luck everyone and have some fun!! ;)

Nice one Todd, this is also something I know NOTHING about lol, with your talents though mate this will be incredible.

;D Thanks for all the encouragement here guys...I will need all of it!! ::) Not a huge kit but I can see how I could get over involved in it though!! ;)

Nice !! Since I have not watched any of these, that gives me some direction on a few things now!!! Thanks Brian! ;D

;D...LOL!!! I hope not to make you cringe to much at my "Gundam Skills"!! :-X

Is it tomorrow yet??? Kind of itching to dig into it!!! LOL!! Just need to really paint something...having withdrawals!!!! (insert DT Shaking and drooling Emoticon)

Waited about 30 seconds after having my first cup of coffee, then it was off to the camera!!!

Her is what I am dealing with here.....

FirstDayofSchool2012007.jpg

Being a second...wait, a third hand kit, the 1st owner had snipped off a couple pieces and made the attempt to glue them together. He gave up and the kit made it's way to a local show where my buddy picked it for something like a buck. Now, like the cat, the kit came back!!!

FirstDayofSchool2012008.jpg

Thinking the keen-eyed will see the glue marks which will get sanded and/or separated and done again. I am thinking some things need to go but I will see as I go here.

I could not contain myself, like I mentioned, and also started some reconstructive sanding too. Plenty more to go and then some filler here and there.

FirstDayofSchool2012010.jpg

Looking at this picture, I have decided that the two leg pieces (other two red section other than the torso) need to be slit up. If I am to paint this, I would really like to reduce the masking.....somewhat anyway!! And the gun will need a bit of attention to jazz it up!!!

With any luck I will steel some time this afternoon and see how many pieces I can sand up and get ready for this build!!!

As always, thanks for tuning in!!!! ;D

OK then, I think I am getting a handle on stuff at the moment. I finished just about all of the sanding...I think. LOL!! So trying to take Brian tip and using a sort of tree method of painting I was able to shoot some primer.

gundamUpdates002.jpg

This will help me see anything I will need to fix prior to painting. Instead of using alligator clips I grabbed some peg board brackets and some butyl tape and instant paint sticks!

FirstDayofSchool2012017.jpg

Except for the gun, a plain old toothpick worked just fine!!!

FirstDayofSchool2012019.jpg

While everything cures up a bit, I am not going to wait with the gun. Moving forward, using some K4 Black Grey, I added some pre-shading.

gundamUpdates010.jpg

Next I used some Steel and added a coat over the shading.

gundamUpdates011.jpg

Next some shading with Blue Steel.

gundamUpdates020.jpg

Then I added a little Alclad Trio....

gundamUpdates025.jpg

A little Clear Red on the, ummm, targeting optics? LOL!!

gundamUpdates029.jpg

I then added a light charcoal wash.

gundamUpdates037.jpg

Now some Oily staining for some moving parts.

gundamUpdates040.jpg

I added some Burnt Iron Pigment to the muzzle.

gundamUpdates054.jpg

gundamUpdates055.jpg

Last a little graphite to brighten the edges slightly.

gundamUpdates058.jpg

And that is the "prep-work" on the gun. I still need to add some dusting and this can go into a safe place till I am done assembling the entire unit.

gundamUpdates078.jpg

gundamUpdates079.jpg

gundamUpdates080.jpg

gundamUpdates084.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!! ;)

Looks cool Todd.

And yes, those ARE targeting optics. No need to make fun.

;)

Thanks Scott!! And yeah no making fun here!!! LOL...I am completely ignorant to the Gundam world!! I am pretty much "assuming" this entire project!! ;)

Thanks G, appreciate you swinging by!! I am going to "assume" the piece all together today and see if I can get it to do what I want, maybe snap a pic of 2 and then off to the booth. ;)

Thanks GP! Appreciate you tagging along here!! ;D

Trial fit...

a9.jpg

a5.jpg

a3.jpg

Thanks for having a LQQY!! ;)

Thanks Ravhin!! Well, here is the beginning stages. I had some extra time today so I held up in the booth for a while....

Everything get's a nice coat of Glass Base from Alclad

AAA7.jpg

Being a nice day, a little outside curing was all I needed. A little Alclad Chrome applied

AAA9.jpg

AAA11.jpg

Finally today, I tackled a little Burnt Violet and Burnt Sepia

AAA26.jpg

AAA29.jpg

AAA5.jpg

Needing a Titanium base for what I plan, this will work. Unfortunately, Titanium does not actually rust to well!! ::) But that does not mean I can't weather it!! ;D Next up some clear and then some paint. Might let this rest for a day and work on some neglected projects. Let's see what tomorrow brings!!

;D

Really cool base. The chipping etc...will work great over this.

Assuming you'll be chipping...

Latest posts

Back