Starting an MPC Falcon kit, have some questions

overlord

Hi everyone. I've been reading up and looking at the pics of all your Falcon builds, but I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

First of all, I haven't built a model kit in at least 25 years, but used to when I was a kid. I'd like to take my time on this and make it look nice instead of the slap-together jobs I did back then. I've already got some paints and an airbrush set-up. I do not plan on buying any add-ons for cockpit or anything, but since I'm an electronics geek, I'd like to add some LEDs.

Now the questions. First, I have this part that is not listed on the "instructions". the part is #63 and it looks like maybe it was supposed to be a battery compartment? Any ideas? it seems to fit over the large square opening on the bottom body half.

And speaking of those "instructions", does anyone have anything better than the crap ones that came with the model? I'm sure I can follow them, but like I said in my first question, there are parts on the tree that aren't on the instructions.

Last question for now. I'm sure opinions vary here, but is it better to paint parts on the tree before they go in place or to place them first? I'm thinking specifically of the round recessed parts on the upper and lower.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Hey!
You're exacly in the same situation I was in 2 years ago: 25 years without building anything. Funny that you picked the same model I picked to start over.

Correct, part 63 is a battery pack. I ended up not using it since I'm using a 12v adapter.

I haven't seen any other instructions out there for this ship. I'm sure you'll be fine with what's in there anyway.

Personnaly, I prefer to cut the parts from the sprue so I can clean them up and trust me, you'll be doing a lot of that on that kit :p The parts you're referring to (recessed engines kinda things) can be painted first, then glued in place. Make sure you don't make a mess when you're gluing the painted part in place though.
However, i found it easier to glue the canopies of the gun tunnels in, mask the windows and paint the whole thing afterward... Depends on the situation.

Heres the best advise i can give you: Have fun and don't get discouraged, some (most) parts on that kit to fit properly, you'll need to do some filing and sanding here and there. Always try a dry fit before applying glue!

Cheers

I had a similar question about the circular openings on the mandibles and I was advised to pre-shade the detailed parts first before attaching. My plan then is to spray the entire ship with base-coat including the recessed parts.....I'm not 100% sure.....still learning

J

Latest posts

Back