Star Trek Generations

Capt_Taggert

Never give up, never surrender!
I'm currently working on the crash scene from ST "Generations" to include in the group build. I would have posted photos earlier but my father in law contracted brain cancer last fall and passed away recently, so I've been wrapped up the other things as you can imagine. I've got some photos that I'll post tonight.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. You and your family will be in my prayers. Your crash scene sounds like an exciting build.

airrex

Here's what I have done so far. Snow day tomorrow and with luck, i'll be able to get the ground work started.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Awesome! Welcome to the GB and can't wait to see the progress! :)

Sorry about the father in law though :(

I've allways carryed thoughts on such dio...
Can't wait to see it and totaly interested! :)

Here's the diorama base, 3/4 ply with styrofoam on top for the "Trench". I'm going to attach some feet i found at the local hardware store and also drill a hole for the toggle bolt that will be attached to the Enterprise Saucer Section. I found this plaster cloth a the Hobby Lobby and will use that to start the ground cover.

[attachment deleted by admin]

So sorry about your father in law. Not easy.

Looks like you have a handful - a messy handful!

I'm open to suggestions on the ground cover. Right now i'm in uncharted territory so any help would be appreciated.

I don't know alot about Trek...what could be a possible scenario for this to be in?

In Generations, Picards enlists the aid of Kirk to stop a bad guy from destroying a populated world. The enterprise destroyed when Klingons bust through the shields. The saucer section crashes into the ground on the world that is going to be destroyed by the bad guy. Here's the youtube link:
Star Trek Generations Enterprise D crash

Man, I guess that after this build You'd be a professional in making tiny trees ;D
If not joking, my idea is that it could be possible to say, that, crashing, such a big damn thing like an Ent-D saucer would create a strong implosion wave in surrounding atmosphere, and, more than that, it would be hot like hell. I know, that each time we use real physics for Star Wars or Star Trek devil kills an innocent kitten, but filling the major part of the base around the fallen saucer with a mess of earth and half-burned green stuff from Your nearest forest would even add some realism.

I would totally try to model that crash scene. Crater, path of destruction, broken trees etc...
Of course scale is a huge issue. Getting trees to look right at that scale would be tough.

You could try some woodland scenics clump foliage. http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/GCClump-Foliage
Just modeling the canopy of the forest.

Maybe a few 'hero' trees on the perimeter of the carnage with the wire method.
Part 6 of Making trees - types of wire twist trees

Earth carnage, a combination of sifted real dirt / or coffee grounds / cat litter.

I think you could have a really cool diorama here.

Thanks, excellent idea's! I've got several bags of Woodland Scenics foliage and a couple of bags of what looks like sand or dirt. I'm hoping that's enough. I had thought of using broken toothpics to represent damaged trees but i do like the wire idea. Scale is the big issue with this project.

It is. You'd have to make some tiny wire trees. I think a few 'hero' ones along the perimeter would looks cool. Try a small test and see how it looks - post a few pics too!

If you got the right gauge of stranded wire, I don't think the trees would be that hard to make. Just cut off a piece of wire, strip off the insulation and twist up. Or you could go out and find some small dead plants that have the right shape to be tiny trees and coat that with your woodland scenics foliage. This would save you the time to twist up some trees.

I've got some 30 gauge wire and some larger gauge that might work. I'll make a few up and see what they look like.

Latest posts

Back