Star Trek 2009 Enterprise Revell 1/500

PixelMagic

So while I patiently await Gary's release of the TOS Enterprise color guide, I have put it on the back burner and started on the 2009 Enterprise. I HATED this ship the first time I saw it, but I've come to appreciate certain things about it, even if I'm still not 100% in love with it. From some angles it's quite beautiful.

With all builds, I like to try out a new technique, and this I am exploring "black basing" which has become popular in the aircraft modeling world the past year or so. See more on the technique here...

https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/technique-black-basing/

At the same time, I've been searching for an airbrush primer that goes down as smooth as Tamiya Fine primer, which I've been using for years. The only down sides to the Tamiya Fine Primer are that it's expensive, and you don't really have fine control over its spray pattern or volume. This means the can runs out quickly and those things are $11 a pop. I also needed a primer that was black. I tried Vallejo's Surface Primer, but it's not very sandable unless you wait a LONG time for it to cure. It is sandable after curing fully over a week or so. In my tests it also went down kind of grainy, though others have gotten smooth results.

Then I found this primer. The holy grail I'd been looking for. Stynylrez Primer by Badger. I know I'm going to sound like an advertisement here, but this stuff is INCREDIBLE. It's water based, doesn't have an odor, and it goes down satin smooth. A perfect finish. It's self leveling properties are insane. I accidentally flooded the surface with primer on one piece and it STILL leveled out and did not obscure any detail at all. When you first spray it on, it looks kind of orange peely, which worried me, but give it 10-15 minutes and it levels itself off perfectly. It also is very good at filling little sanding scratches while not softening actual molded detail. After 20 minutes, you can sand it, and it feathers off just as well as Tamiya. After 1-2 hours of curing, it will withstand any masking tape, and not pull up. This is my primer from now on. Don't let the crap graphic label fool you. This stuff is the best primer I've ever seen.

I hope to have more updates soon, using the the black basing technique to build up hull panels. I think it will be an interesting experiment, but I also wanted to let you guys know about Stynylrez.

uwwWGc6.jpg

So, following the black basing technique, I was trying to add a very subtle mottling effect to the hull for "weathering" since Federation vessels are so clean. I think nothing screams model like a broad uniform surface. Still, I over applied paint, and my mottling effect was nullified. :(

I've striped the piece to attempt again, but I thought I'd show you the cool panel effect I was able to get. I first sprayed the base coat down. Then I used tamiya tape to mask off random panels. This was very contrasty.

dXf4Xcl.jpg

To get even more detail on it, I used a Derwent Graphik Line Drawer 0.1mm graphite drawing pen. In retrospect, I could have probably used a black one too, such as those from Hobby Lobby art section. I put down small strips of vinyl masking tape, which gave me just enough of a raised edge to place the nib against to draw a straight line around a curved surface.

FpCUtNE.jpg

Then I took the base color again and thinned it about 70% thinner 30% paint. I did a few very light passes over the panels until they were really subtly blended in. I will now do more panels on top of these, such as slightly darker grey ones, and some pearlescent ones. It's all about building up several layers of paneling to really get that movie effect.

lHrMysR.jpg

I love the layering effect... very subtle but very effective! Can't wait to see more bro!

This is looking very interesting. Really liking the panel effect so far. Thanks for the primer tip! I do love the primer look.

My deflector experiment was a success. Alot of people on this kit cut out light holes from the deflector housing and backlight the dish. While this looks good, it's not accurate, so I wanted to try to light the dish a different more screen accurate way.

Firstly, I masked the spokes with Aztek Dummy's set. Went on beautifully. Then I used Humbrol Maskol to mask the back of the deflector attach point to allow as much light bleed through as possible. I also did this on the deflector housing.

9Dr1MQe.jpg

Next I sprayed the dish with Stynylrez White, followed by a few light coats of Tamiya Gloss White. This is so as light exits the clear dish, it will be reflected back into the dish to light the spokes even brighter.

tf1wBcc.jpg

Next up was gloss black. This both light blocks and provides a base for the Alclad polish brass top coat.

xE1668J.jpg

Then Alclad Polished brass.

Z18PzGq.jpg

Then, it was a simple matter of removing the spoke masks, peeling away the Maskol and inserting a 2mm "lighthouse" or "tower" LED. I then dipped the cool white LED into Tamiya Clear Blue to tent the bulb blue. And presto.

rmo2kbt.jpg

cjs4MbT.jpg

UrDY421.jpg

Latest posts

Back