Star Blazer * esque Kitbash of Type VII U boat ( 36")

urumomo

;D ;D Howdy and welcome to the space shuttle that keeps on giving .....

For those familiar with my Grosser Hund build you know I have been using bits from an old ,destined for the bin , 1/72 space shuttle kit for raw material --- just small stuff ....
.. And , I mentioned my long sitting U-boat was about to become a donor . It did . So I am moving forward on the Star Blazer bash of the thing and use up the shuttle to boot ;)

They're both 1/72 but I think I want the end ship to scale out at ~ 1:160 ,, so she's ~500 foot ( the plastic is 3 foot )
We'll see

002_zps11e8a7db.jpg

I've always thought this has a real sexy hull

017_zps48915de0.jpg

Beautiful stuff ;D

014_zpse35e71f7.jpg

.... Made for each other ..............

008_zpsd2af4223.jpg

012_zpsb01d6cd5.jpg...w shades of Maschinen Krieger
Gonna be a good weekend ;D
Uru

So it will be Kripitera Space Destroyer Size

69010.JPG

Dude.... You have a great idea. I have been thinking about doing something similar. I just can't get it on paper..... good luck and I can't wait to see How it comes out. ;)

Excalibur ,, glad you're onboard ! ;)

Setting parts right out the box to get the rhythm

Comments / suggestions welcome

020_zps596de7f9.jpg
022_zps237c3a8d.jpg
023_zps97d82406.jpg

028_zps7d1da7a4.jpg
030_zpsa759c6d0.jpg

032_zps664f9e30.jpg
034_zpsd4147f56.jpg

I need to get back to the Grosser Hund's fuel packs ........ let this setup soak in and evolve
... Definitely more mast action ;D

Keith

more food for thought ... forward weapons .... engine bell placement ...:

044_zps33e3d488.jpg
056_zpsba43fe00.jpg

Have you thought about taking a bite out of the tail for the main engines....?
Not to overstep or get a head of you....

Hey , X
No no ,,, I like the input ,,
I don't have a set plan . I do , however , intend to maintain the lines of the hull ( ironically , I really like the aft end of the this hull ,, the way it slopes away ;D )

What type of chopping into are you thinking ?

I still prefer my original position for the engine bells....

Here's some other positions --- way aft ,, which I really don't like

078_zpsb19fc71d.jpg

Others

068_zps30bca007.jpg
080_zps8358c33a.jpg

...don't like this either 086_zps39e0b982.jpg

090_zps0c997393.jpg

I WISH there were 4 of the big bells but that's not the case :(

The small bell up

096_zps7db81444.jpg

Between 100_zps5c5915fa.jpg

Looking at the Original U-Boat picture.... I was thinking one( or 20) large Bell(s) where the Rudder would be. Or a large enough cut on either side of the back slope for 2 engines.
???

I'm just sculpting ...
the keel on the sub is flat . I needed to get away from that . I surfed around looking at Star Blazer ships , specifically the Yamato . the thing is very 'bow-centric' . I like that prominent , split bow .

The PVC will be shaped into the hull and each other and probably become a 'gun' ( Wave Motion , of course )
( see my plasma gun build for example ) ... they won't stay 'two tubes' in the least lol

I want to push the superstructure mass aft with the balance of the forward keel (PVC) to offset

The Yamato's gunnels slope continuously inboard . There is a name for this ,,, they use it for barges .
I plan to sculpt the freeboard similar ,, hence those 'shoe' looking pieces @ each end of the superstructure .
... I would actually like to move the main 'tower' et al further aft but it's current location puts it centered on the original footprint of the conning tower lower gun mount
103_zpsd665aa74.jpg

I'm going with the flow

Now --- the engines . I like them super salient -- like the over the top wide 'radar masts' and the huge 'foils'
I don't want to streamline it by recessing the engines

When I see the Star Blazer ships , I feel like the whole crew is probably all crazy on amphetamines :eek:

,.,. . and ' catfish antennae ' . yeah . it must have catfish antennae

Slid the superstructure back :-\
Sliced off the trailing edge of the main wings to add to the stern . :-\
..Been moving the little 'canard' around -- it's forward here

033_zps0bc98a27.jpg036_zpsd6346ea6.jpg052_zps685e77ed.jpg

Boy , the moon is bright tonight :eek:

and this is plain eerie

U534.jpg

see ?
WILDSTA2.jpg

Great project... !
:)

The bridge may be too big though... Same for the solar panels. It can be smaller, I think. And the shape more... Square ? :)

Maybe the same parts but upside down ?

I, myself, gave Matsumoto-like design to build. But Choose a different direction, with big model kit of russian planes (fishbed and stuff) with boats parts.

Hey Youli !
Ha Ha ..... I've been playing with the layout since everything is just sitting there . Been like a game of Jenga with slippery PVC and plastic bits ::) .
This is way different than what I would build left on my own .
I'm using the existing parts from the shuttle kit ( that tower is some ISS part ) and the Star Blazer attitude ---least the way I interpret it ;D-- to shape the build .
The heavy tower is part of what pushed me to push more 'weight' to the forward keel

I would never put wings on a spacecraft ,, splayed engine bells etc ::) -- super-mega radar masts ,, yeah , they scale to like 45 feet each

I would be going a route like EXCALIBUR , with the meaner , sleeker design ----- maybe next time ;)

I really am open to details , lol , I want it to be ' crazy - reasonable ' ,ha ha ,,,

the pics don't really convey the total form very well since it's 3 feet long :(
The tiny lens on the phone can't manage . the perspective gets screwed up :(

Been thinking about the color scheme ( far away :p ) ,, know you like color :)
I want something a bit different ,,, right now I'm thinking a 'champagne' as the primary ....
... I had a 10 speed bike long ago that color ( what the maker called it ) --- like a blond with hint of copper tones -- hard to describe , sorta . :-\

It would definitely be cool lighted --- drill out all the slits in the outer hull --- plenty of room inside for batteries and stuff ;D

O K .
This is the arrangement of the major components I'm going to build from . I like this shape .
Filling in , or up , as I go

Or should I reposition ? the towers lol ::)

064_zpsccf6dc92.jpg
068_zps20ba63c9.jpg

061_zps4eb08915.jpg
058_zps6f6ce08a.jpg

SWAPPED

066_zpscd9dc331.jpg

move the blister back

070_zpscc3e5acb.jpg
072_zpsa4ed072e.jpg

cool ,, that's the vibe i'm aiming at

destroyer size
I want a lotta gun and a lotta engine

sweet. one question.......will there be big guns?

I'll keep but modify the forward torpedo tubes as missile launchers , the extended keel will be a wave motion gun .
The existing lifeboat buckets on the port bow already look like missile tubes ;D

Then probably close defense 'artillery' along mid-ships ( like the Yamato but strung along the ballast tank blisters --- )
' Like ' this : above and below ,, couple sizes

090_zpsac87ddd4.jpg

Adding the kits tower - reversed

074_zps3c886add.jpg

Forward mast higher

080_zps329bb348.jpg

I like this also , YOULI :) No big tower ..
Cover it in an arc of artillery instead ;D

087_zps5f0d224d.jpg

Big one back in front

116_zpse4d33f36.jpg

...and if you're not sick of it yet ...
think I'm gonna start building ... I like this :

It'll get covered with defensive lasers .
So it's a Heavy Destroyer for interplanetary defense . Operating mainly Earth/Moon/Mars supply routes

I've decided it needs 7 engines ,, the 3 big bell and 2 smaller I have ,, then I'll see what doner kit I run across this week . The Star Blazer ships use jet aircraft exhaust , so I need to find a rocket or jet sumthin --- shouldn't be too hard . course , a large enough scale ---- or several smaller kits ,, the model gods will dictate :p

024_zps56e6ce6d.jpg
026_zps2eb435a4.jpg

...Still deciding what the things at the canards will be --- rocket / missile batteries or some kinda energy weapons ... The 4 forward ,port deck tubes will carry nuclear MIRV bad-boys ...

028_zps235e7e32.jpg
032_zpsfe164348.jpg

Latest posts

Back