SR-71 Blackbird

nice videos =)

A question, about MMD White Putty you did say in the video that most didnt like it. witch others is there to pick then that MMD W-P one?

keep it up looking forward for the last video 8)

@Anedg003,
For many of us, the putty of choice is, or has become Aves Apoxie Sculpt.
It has a longer working time than the other putties, and is only as hard as the plastic around it when cured

Quaralane said:
@Anedg003,
For many of us, the putty of choice is, or has become Aves Apoxie Sculpt.
It has a longer working time than the other putties, and is only as hard as the plastic around it when cured

alright, thanks for sharing *thump up*

I have been using Squadrons white, but in the last few days I have modified that. I kept hitting a wall, where the squadrons just wouldn't finish the job. So I finish up with Mr. Surfacer.

I do have some aves apoxie sculpt, maybe I should give it a try one day....

Quaralane said:
13aceofspades13 said:
Grendels said:
Yes you can put a clear flat coat over a clear gloss coat anytime.

thats what i figured, i have never used clear flat before..
Just make sure you mask off any clear pieces before laying down the flat coat. I guarantee it will fog your clear pieces

ooh yea, i already could just Imagine, that's why i usually install canopy's and such as a last thing, to avoid sad accidents like that. i would be careful with even standard clear too, i would mask any part of the clear parts or anything i would not want coated in flat before hand!

thanks for these videos , I have watched them eagerly because I am doing the x-15 that has a similar finish.
satin/flat finish with decals.

question,
in the past I have sprayed a high gloss black prior to decals, and used a satin or flat clear to dull the finish after applying the decals, I notice you spray the flat first, would this be a better way to give the decals a more realistic look? I have done very few flat models, so I need to brush up on that technique

also are the decals you made inkjet printed,? that would explain the transparent effect as the inkjet uses a transparent ink , rather than an opaque color .. and would also explain why they show best on a white surface.

the model came out very nice

I sprayed flat paint because that is what I had on hand. I didn't have any glossy black paint. I do remember reading somewhere, (It may have been on this site) that one person always sprayed flat paint for a couple of reasons. One it dries faster, and two It is easier to paint. I haven't tried Tamiya gloss through the air brush yet. Might have to give that a try......

Now I sprayed on a gloss coat for the decals because that makes them settle in better. A gloss coat is smooth, while a flat coat has a rough surface. (That is what makes it flat, light reflects in a random way, instead of straight back to you.) The rough surface makes it harder to place decals.

ahh ok .. so you still spray a gloss under the decals,, than continue with the dulling of the model later ?

Yep. That's what you do.
Gloss coat.
Decal.
Sealer coat.
Final finish coat if it's going to be anything other than gloss

Also, I use an ink jet to make decals with. I do have a laser printer at the office, but it is only black and white. I am too cheap to buy a color one. The problem with home made decals is that you really have to have a light colored background or you need to print on white decal paper. I do have white decal paper, but then you have to trim the decal exactly even with the edge, or you get a white border.

To fix it you need a printer that first prints a white layer, and then a color layer. Since most printers can't print white.....

Latest posts

Back