Squadron is now Kaput ( who next ? )

Wolf Star

Man of mayhem
Really sucks. My local Hobbytown USA is closing too, and they are the only shop in town except for Michaels and Hobby Lobby. VLS has been gone for awhile, that one took me by surprise.

I keep buying stuff from Sprue Brothers and Hobbylinc and all of my other favorite places in hopes that they will continue to stay in biz.

Back when I lived in Pittsburgh in the late 90's, I was always at this place called AB Charles & Son, went out of business around 2015... They were around for like 50 years and it was the premiere hobby shop in town.

urumomo

Yep .
We have ONE hobby shop here . There was another but it closed a couple years ago .

But it's only a very small town named Houston , Texas :D :D

I stopped by a little shop way over on the far west side called Gundam Kingdom .
All they sell is Gundam kits and a very small selection of basic tools and glue/ paint .
Been there a few years and I hope they remain successful but it's strange that a store with such a niche market can make it ,, especially waaay over there on the far west side .

Belugawrx

Here
There is only one actual train/kits/tools/paints/hobby shop within an hour from me, I try to get to once a month and spend waaay too much drinking monies..
The Olde Niagara Central Hobbies (my local) closed about 5 years ago..
Nothing beats the smell of old hobby shops

Jim62

I haven't used them since I got back in this hobby but I sure use to enjoy their mailer and ordering models back in the 70's and early 80's.

unclepine

We lost Gooche's hobbues, Spare Time Hobbies, Argus Hobbies(no loss, owner was a turd), Tiger Hobbies lost a wonderful chap, Ken Margusa over CHristmas to ALS...BUT...HobbySense started up 2 years ago, and has become the premiere HS here in Canada. FANTASTIC selection of kits, tools and OMG, his paint line is awesome. Best shop I know of that will ship almost same day...!!! I've seen the stack of parcels waiting at the front door for Postal pick up...his prices are fair and a super nice gentleman to work with. Chk out his site, he has a new points system that I have used and saved a lot of money...especially with my bad(good) spending habits...LOL...!

stevethefish

My name's actually not Steve
I stopped by a little shop way over on the far west side called Gundam Kingdom .
All they sell is Gundam kits and a very small selection of basic tools and glue/ paint .
Been there a few years and I hope they remain successful but it's strange that a store with such a niche market can make it ,, especially waaay over there on the far west side .
It's because Gundam stuff is popular. They helped me get back into the hobby when I was afraid of airbrushes. YouTube channels focusing on Gundams get the clicks for sure. You don't even have to be good at modeling, especially if you're a girl who likes to wear tight tank tops with her tits on display (not mentioning any names).

Here is one of the model shops in my small town. The facade hasn't changed since it started in the early '80s. The other hobby shop is just a block north on the same street.

Jim62

It's because Gundam stuff is popular. They helped me get back into the hobby when I was afraid of airbrushes. YouTube channels focusing on Gundams get the clicks for sure. You don't even have to be good at modeling, especially if you're a girl who likes to wear tight tank tops with her tits on display (not mentioning any names).

Here is one of the model shops in my small town. The facade hasn't changed since it started in the early '80s. The other hobby shop is just a block north on the same street.
In 30 or 40 years all the Gundam folks will be the old farts on the forums instead of us current old farts here building our planes, ships, cars, etc. Glad it's there to spur interest in the hobby.

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
Nobody is next. Squadron's failure is purely due to Squadron's poor management and business decisions over the past 10 years, at least. They have been in a long, slow decline. There are plenty of other vendors, who offer a better range of products, with better service and better prices, generally, than Squadron has had in that time.

Latest posts