Spray Cans!

Is it relatively safe to use non-modelling spray can brands to spray paint my aircraft models? Or wi

• Yes, its safe.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No its not!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jedi2x98

Planning on using spray cans to spray paint my models, but is non modelling brands safe to use on my models? :-\

Depends on what you are using as "non-modeling" paint.

If it is a hot lacquer or enamel, it could possibly melt the plastic.

However hit the parts with a coat of primer, and you should be OK.

Ahh okay thanks but is primer really needed to be applied? Will it still be okay if no primer is applied on? :-\

Again, it depends on what you are using for paint. Most spray paints are lacquer or enamel based, and most non-modelling spray paints are usually much hotter than a model paint, as they are designed to be used on other things besides styrene plastic, and thus could leave your kit a pile of goo.

Even Tamiya Spray cans are are a fairly hot lacquer, and could do some damage to bare plastic.

So you should primer your kit. It will protect the plastic, smooth out most irregularities, and make your color coat look better.

I agree with all the above.. Tamiya paint/primer is (in my opinion) the best on the market.

One thing though...if you have never used spray cans on models...keep one thing in mind:

Paint in spray cans comes out at a very high volume very quickly.Keep your paint moving...or runs and drips will occur.For me...I usually use spray cans on car models...because the surface detail on most aircraft models(engraved panel lines,rivets,screen detail) can quickly become flooded with paint if I'm not careful enough.Start with thin coats..rather than one thick heavy coat.

This is probably more info than you care to know at this point...but I thought I would offer it anyway.Let us know if you have any more questions...were here to help!

I agree with the Tamiya Primer, however at the moment it is pretty much a scarce commodity here in North America until Tamiya gets their labeling issue worked out.

A great alternative is the new Vallejo Urethane primers. I have used the grey, and liked it, just used the black primer on my Zero and LOVED it, can't say enough good things about it.

Is good to go already for airbrushing out of the bottle, and can be brush painted very nicely as well for smaller parts. Been using it lately as my go to for flat black also.....very nice!

Of course, the down side is, if you don't have an airbrush, then it can't be sprayed on, but can still be brush painted on.

before debating over what is the best primer and model paints....

Why do you Ask ?

Is there a reason why ? You would want to use other products than those specifically designed for model use? either price ? or availability ? Cheaper isn't always better !!!

or do you intend to do a Specific coloured vehicle.... and this color is only available at a Automotive paint dealer..???

Lots of Car Modelers use REAL CAR Paints.... but they have a process.... they lay down a good primer and do multiple light coats to build up their colours.... if I am correct ???

but let us hear you first !!!

Norm

out !

Latest posts

Back