Spock with Snakes

Okay, this is me trying to clean off the Shelf Queens. Got quite a few of them & could probably keep me busy for a couple years, truthfully. But I'm gonna start finishing on a newer addition to the land of the forgotten- my Spock with Snakes kit.

So here's where I left off- had the base basically totally rebuilt. Used beach sand, cut off the rocks, used real ones from searching the side yard for (thankfully the construction crew for the street & sidewalk gave me lots to choose from), made the funky bushes with static grass & real moss & also just decked it out real nice, I think.
DSC02814.jpg

I also modded the phaser to look more like the actual prop, including an aluminum tube & a clear tip, also sanding it a bit more to shape.
PhaserMods.jpg

My bigest deal was getting Spock to stand on the rocks. With some advice, I decided to use magnets. I cut a hole int he rock, covered what would be seen with Aves & put some metal in Spock's foot, also bending in his toes a bit to make the new angles more like he was flat footed on the rocks.
FootMagnet.jpg

Last thing I did this week is to finish the mods to the communicator. I made the new antenna from a tight gold mesh & the three lights by mushrooming out some fiber optic. Came out pretty well, I think!
Communicator.jpg

His pants & boots are painted, all the skin as well. Still need to detail the face, though. Next tackle will be painting the shirt which I've mixed up a nice color for.

I love what you did to the base. If the rest of it looks like this it will be a cool piece!

Great "Old" kit. Boy, does this bring back memories. Terrific work on the detailing...cool communicator.
More, more, more! Bill

I've discovered the worst part about building, aside of sanding, is waiting. Waiting for everything to dry!!! I wanna work, but I have to wait. Well, for the last two days I've been working & waiting, so here's what has come of it- the torso is done!!! In addition to the legs, everything but his head is done. As for the head, skin is done & I've painted the hair black, drybrushing it with a very deep grey for highlights. Looks better than it sounds. Anyway, onto the pics!!

I mixed some blues together & after a few tries, got a good tunic color. Gold for the science symbol & braids with black outlining hand brushed on. Actually, everything is brushed on. I also drybrushed the tunic with white, dullcoated & then glossed over the symbol & braids. You can also see the pants (actually rattle can'd) that were then dull coated & drybrushed, the boots were glossed.
torso.jpg

The phaser was painted with a medium grey & charcoal acrylics, then drybrushed. You can't tell in this shot, but the fingernails are also painted a slightly lighter color.
phaser.jpg

Comments welcome! ;D

To tell your guys the truth, I don't do figure kits. Why?? The faces. Always been somewhat hesitant because I thought I could not quite do them justice. Well, I spent the better part of a day on Spock. Using brushed on acrylics & some pastel chalks for shading..... I actually think I did pretty good! I'm more than amazed at the outcome & very happy with all of the subtle shading that's going on under the eyes & around the mouth lines. It's hard to see it well in this shot, but you can see most of it. Overall, I'm just really suprised & happy with it.

The skin tone is custom, with just a touch af green. The lips are the skin tone with about 20% crimson. The pastels were brushed on with reds, green & browns.
head.jpg

That head and face look very good.
Especially since I know the pic is several times larger than the actual head.

Thanks. It's amazing just how good it can look to the eye, then when you take a pic you see all the flaws like paint bumps. Still, I'm painting for the eye & to the eye, it looks smooth enough.

That looks great!! I can just about make out the green tint on the skin. Funny, there was a post about this in the chit-chat forum only a few days ago.

Prince of Styrene II said:
Thanks. It's amazing just how good it can look to the eye, then when you take a pic you see all the flaws...

Ain't that the truth!!

Really looking great PS II !!

Prince of Styrene II said:
Igard said:
That looks great!! I can just about make out the green tint on the skin. Funny, there was a post about this in the chit-chat forum only a few days ago.
Really? About my build??

Not specifically about your thread, no. It was about Spock's green skin. :)

Spock is finally a head of the game!! HA!!!
I had to add a bit of thickness to the colar as there was a bit of an edge on the shoulders showing. I also tried to sculpt a bit of the v-neck on it as well.

SpockFinish1.jpg

SpockFinish2.jpg

Latest posts

Back