Spitfire and bf109e captured equipment WHIF build

m1ks

This is a GB from the airfix forum just completed and an idea i've had bouncing around for a while now.

Models are an old 72nd Airfix bf109e and Revell MKVb Spitfire.

As with my previous WHIF builds theres a little story to accompany this one, please take the time to read through before viewing the pics.
Thanks

OK folks, are you comfortably seated? Grab yourself a drink and get settled in while, with my tongue firmly in my cheek’ I recount to you a little known tale of WWII involving Adolf Galland, Air Minister Goring, our own plucky hero Johnny English and the unexpected and unusual meeting of the two aforementioned air aces, (complete with model imagery of the aeroplanes naturally).

The story begins with Herman Goring, after months of constant grief from Adolf Galland due to his initial refusal for Gallands request for a squadron of Spitfires, this taking the form of , first, a forum thread on the official Luftwaffe pilots and groundcrews forum, (for details see thread – ‘My air minister is a big meanie’ by forum member NaseGelb)
Then followed various ‘tweet’ rants and the final straw was the threat of compromising photo’s to be posted on Facebook.
Goring finally tells Galland he can have one captured Spitfire on a trial run basis and like a child at Christmas Galland immediately dashes to the airfield to oversee the preparation, painting and arming of his ‘new toy’
Upon completion he immediately embarks on a solo mission across the channel, pausing for mid air refuelling from a flock of highly trained carrier pigeons halfway, for the sole purpose of carrying out inverted flight over the allied airfields of southern England to blow raspberries at the Brits and waggle his hand with his thumb on his nose, (you all know the gesture).

Meanwhile, as this is occurring, our intrepid hero Johnny English, VC, Order of SUL, (Stiff Upper Lip), has had an unfortunate technical snag whilst flying an experimental jet pack over Germany on a spying mission and had to make an emergency landing due to deciding he didn’t need a refuel at the last stop and he’d make it to the next, (haven’t we all done that!), fortunately before capture he managed to get the pack disassembled and packaged then hidden with a tracking beacon to be collected later by specially trained carrier pigeons, (it’s common knowledge that both the Germans and British used specially trained carrier pigeons for numerous secret missions, very versatile these pigeons, it’s the real reason they’re always hanging around Trafalgar square, they’re campaigning for a statue to commemorate their service).
However, I digress, Johnny was promptly captured by the German soldiers patrolling the area and en route to the local battalion commandant for questioning he cunningly slipped the leash by yelling, ‘look Marlene Dietrich’ and while the troops were momentarily distracted he resorted to the classic fall back plan of run like hell away from his captors.
Our hero gradually makes his way to a local German Airfield scattered liberally with BF109’s FW190’s and (of course), specially trained carrier pigeons.
Realising his best chance of escape is grabbing one of the aircraft he forms a cunning plan and though our hero is famed for his cunning plans this particular one is more cunning than a plan concocted by a wily fox who is appointed title of professor of cunning at Oxford university.
First of all he whips up a batch of day leave slips on his palmtop windows 7 PC and portable inkjet printer and sneaks them into the barracks, this accounts for half of the pilots and groundcrew, for the remainder he cleverly diverts a couple of well stacked brewery lorries to the airfield and waits to make sure the inevitable ‘whisky galore’ type lash up ensues.
While the remaining German aircrew and staff are busy getting merry, Johnny sneaks away to the local German equivalent of Halfords to pick up some Sky, Brown and Olive drab spray cans, as although he isn’t opposed to swiping a BF109 he is after all as patriotic as can be and flying a 109 in German colours simply won’t do.
All goes well in the store as Johnny uses his flawless German to purchase his rattle cans, right to the point when he pays with two large crisp white fivers and says, toodle pip old boy, fortunately for Johnny, the pimply faced teenage shop assistant, whilst suspicious, is on a YTS, poorly paid and frankly couldn’t care less, especially as he’s in a hurry to get on his tea break so he can check his facebook messages and text his friends with such witticisms as ‘wrk sux LOL’, though of course in German.
Ahem, anyway, Johnny dashes back to the airfield with his rattly cans, being cautious all the way to ensure he doesn’t get stopped on suspicion of ‘tagging’ the local buildings.
Upon return to the airbase, he finds his cunning plan has worked perfectly and the entire remainder of the pilots and crew are falling down drunk or unconscious.
He promptly selects a BF109 and gets cracking with the paints, in no time at all he’s almost ready to go, a quick few minutes further with a pack of crayons from a McDonalds happy meal sees the addition of Roundels and serial numbers.
From here he sabotages the other aircraft by filling the tanks with sugar, thinking, ‘thank goodness the Luftwaffe aren’t rationed on sugar’ swiftly followed by ‘I wonder why they have 100 kilos of sugar laying about the barracks anyway?’
At this point with the paint and crayon dry-(ish), our stiff upper lipped hero vaults effortlessly into his anglicised Messerschmitt and takes to the skies.
Right about this time, Adolf Galland has done his inverted fly by raspberry blowing mission and is on his return flight when halfway across the channel he spots a familiar silhouette in the form of Johnny’s BF109.

What happens next? Well, we’ll have to wait and see?

Hope you like the models.

capturedequipment17.jpg

capturedequipment18.jpg

capturedequipment19.jpg

capturedequipment20.jpg

capturedequipment21.jpg

capturedequipment22.jpg

capturedequipment23.jpg

capturedequipment24.jpg

Definitely an interesting switchup.
Must say, though, that the Spitfire looks much better as a German than the Messerschmidt does British

This is a funny Idea. Great Work :))
I agree with Quaralane. The 109 looks uncommon in British Colors

Thankyou for the comments guys, it was a good fun build this one, i quite enjoy doing the little stories to accompany the WHIFs

its cool, i like the idea, its like a British captured 109 and a German captured Spitfire.

Latest posts

Back