Spider-Man

@ Youli very cool Spider Man build. Thanks for sharing.

@ Java thanks for the comment...what do you think of the blue tones now?

I finally finished painting all the parts. I am going to let this dry a day. Then I am going to give the figure a coat of future let it dry for a day and them do a black wash as Grendel's suggested. Then assemble figure and do any necessary touch ups. The base is painted and will post pics later this week. Should have this finished by Friday. I am happy so far how this has turned out. I used the cover of the graphic novel as a guide for painting. My idea is that the Sun is placed at high noon and Spider Man is using this to his advantaged by hiding in its light path so to leap from a building to catch a villain. I painted his back side a lighter shade of blue and and darker shade of blue for his chest and inner leg areas. Same for the red areas of the suit. All colors are Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics.

SpiderMan_Paint_1.jpg

He looks really good!
Good job. It will be nice o see him all together so we can see how the Light/shadow effect turns out.
;D ;D ;D

Almost there, almost there,....I have the wash applied and the need to apply a matt finish. Need to touch up a few areas where the color leaked through the mask for the icon. Not sure if I captured the correct shadow of the blue for the suit for the inner parts of Spiders body. Overall I am happy with how this turned out. The painting is challenging because once the model goes together you get a better perspective of how the the overall color scheme should blend together.

70d794df-a30d-4bb7-a61d-8504e61bb8bb.jpg

The streaks on the Eagle profile are gray weathering powder and it suppose to resemble rain streaks. The camera makes these look bright white. I also used the gray weathering powder on the bricks to makes some areas look faded. The camera makes these areas look bright white too. This must be due to the shine of the future as well as the lighting in the hobby room.

cbc7342b-3926-499b-b88c-a6df111368fd.jpg

4ab81100-ee73-420a-9d28-e24dedc50b9a.jpg

Turned out pretty good. Some seam work at his shoulders and hips would make him about perfect. But I can see how hard those would have been to work.
Your shading trick worked really well

Looks really good but I think he's a bit shiny. Maybe a coat of semi-gloss clear would tone down the shiny factor a bit and give him a bit more realism. Don't be afraid to use a dark wash for those rain streaks on the eagle head... do a few not a lot... don't want to go overboard. I agree with the seam work at his shoulders and where his legs me at the waist... a little filler and a quick painting to match the rest of the red and blue would make it really stand out. The rest of it looks really good. Those little attentions to detail would put it over the top and would really make it stand out!

Looks good! If you decide to redo the rain streaks, get some oil paint. Real easy to remove if you don't like it and it takes days to cure so if you make a mistake, you can just take it off.

But the bad part is that it takes days to cure....

That is how I do all of my weather streaking on my builds.

I agree with Grendels,
I used oils for weathering of the "REPUBLIC", and they worked great...I put some on and took some off MANY times, until I got it how I wanted it. :)

All thanks for the comments and the suggestions. The feed back is very helpful and I making notes so I can apply in future builds.

@ Quaralane and LrdSatyr8...Those seams are a bothersome part of this kit since how you have to paint first then assemble parts second. If there was more time I would tackle just not enough time to complete even with the added extension. I will complete at a later date and post my results.

@ LrdSatyr8...
LrdSatyr8 said:
Looks really good but I think he's a bit shiny. Maybe a coat of semi-gloss clear would tone down the shiny factor a bit and give him a bit more realism. Don't be afraid to use a dark wash for those rain streaks on the eagle head... do a few not a lot... don't want to go overboard. I agree with the seam work at his shoulders and where his legs me at the waist... a little filler and a quick painting to match the rest of the red and blue would make it really stand out. The rest of it looks really good. Those little attentions to detail would put it over the top and would really make it stand out!
Thanks for this comment. I really do not see myself at this skill level yet but this comment gives me inspiration on future builds. I have black and brown oil paint with the correct thinner to make a wash. I thinking of using a brown wash to add more depth to the rain streaks. I was not very satisfied how the eagle head turn out and knew it needed something more to make it look right. Now I know what to do.

@ Grendels... thanks for the suggestion of the enamel wash. This was a life saver. Coverage was simple and quick. I still used the maker pen to highlight some areas where the wash was light. The nice thing I learned was when the pen slipped it was very easy remove the permanent marker because the enamel thinner using a micro brush removed the ink.

@ ModelMakerMike...I checked out your Republic build and outstanding work on this kit. I see what a wash can achieve to make those details pop on a kit.

Time to get to the work shop and get busy....

Hey Tanker... I was thinking about this today and the streaks could be done really easy without any paint at all. Look for a water based black pen... like a Uniball Precise (you know it's water based if you make a mark on something and then run your finger over it and it will smear, and then licking your finger will clean it off). Then using the pen, use just a dot of ink at the seamlines and then using your finger (or a lightly moist paper towel) smear the ink downward to produce the streaks. Don't worry if they are too light at first... do it a few times over the same area allowing a couple minutes to dry between layers... then let the ink dry completely and spray some hairspray over it to "seal" the ink so it don't smear no more. Hairspray by the way is a great satin/dull coating that I use on my models all the time. Its cheap and easy to get ahold of if you're married! :)

Thanks LrdSatyr8 for the tip. I try that next time around. I never thought of using hairspray as a dull coat. Wife uses gel, so I have to go buy some hairspray. I used a brown oil wash and applied it lightly. It turned out good. The picture does not do the justice as seeing it in the real perspective. But if you look close near the cheek area and bricks you will see the wash.

100_5380.jpg

Latest posts

Back