Spaceman Spiff comic strip model

More pictures!!!

First is a pic of the moon. Mind you, these aren't great pics as I just took them under the bench light. I'll take better ones outside in the daylight tomorrow. I took a hint from the Dutchess' school project. I cut up a styrofoam ball & coated it in plaster of paris, painted it two shades of yellow & drybrushed it with white. I'm happy with the texture of the surface. It's mounted like the ship via a rod out the back.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman%20Spiff/DSC09126.jpg

I picked up a "mold maker" toy from the flea market that let's you make shells of 1/64-ish cars. I figured out that if you heat the plastic sheet slowly & use the vacuum at partial strength, you get a curved indention. I cut out the indention & painted it white- yea, not good color in this pic. I'll print out the words on clear sheet & glue it over the top of the bubble.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman%20Spiff/DSC09133.jpg

And lastly, here's a sneak peek as to how the last panel looks so far. The speech bubble needs to be mounted & then this one is all set!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/Prince_of_Styrene_II/Spaceman%20Spiff/DSC09132.jpg

Gary

Resin Comando
This is so amazing. Not only my mostest favourite comic strip but WHAT AN AMAZING SCRATCHBUILD !!! Spaceman Spiff! I mean holy smokes.

Thank you for this build! It's super duper! I only wish there was a kit.
Gary

There actually was a GK some time ago, but it was just Calvin & not a real good sculpt, imo.

All I need to do to finish this box is print out the words for the speech bubble, but I need to buy some clear sheets for the printer first.

Scott Girvan said:
Any updates on this?....so cool, so cool.
D'oh! Yea, sorry. I finished it but my camera was going all wonky so I couldn't take any good pics of it. I spaced out a bit on posting the new pics. So here's some shots with my recently purchased camera! ;D

Full shot of what I'm calling "Panel 6" of the strip.
DSC09212.jpg
I love how you can see the shadow of the words on the back of the speech bubble.
panel6final_a.jpg
Another angle
DSC09216.jpg
Finished moon
panel6final_c.jpg
Backside of Spiff's chair
panel6final_d.jpg
I love this angle!
panel6final_b.jpg

Right now I have quite a few other things on my plate, but I'll be starting panels 3, 4 & 5 next in about two weeks, the ones with "Bug Mom"!!

Thanks, Glen! I do plan on doing the other panels soon. I'm presently doing a bit of work on an Excelsior for a friend, but when that's done I want to get right back onto Spiff & his adventures. 8)

Thanks guys! Well, thanks to our host with the most, Scott's new contest has put the rest of Spiff's panels on hold. I'm building a kitbash for the contest & when that's done I'll start up again. I just want to give myself all the time I can get to finish up before the deadline.

Latest posts