source for fiber optics

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it's $2.00 for 360'..and this is an alternative to fiber optic line.It's much more flxible and for a scale that you would be using .2mm the light is also more to scale.. Thanx :)

4 lines bundled, 2 led source. Just to give an idea. The exterior sheath would need covered to reduce loss..
fiberoptic005800x600_zps7c45e675.jpg
fiberoptic004800x600_zpsf64deebc.jpg

Looks to be basically fishing line, the stuff for large ocean species or even leader for surf would probably work.
Might have to dig through the tackle box tomorrow

Yep, monofilament but this has little to no tensil strength....but will do in a pinch.. thanx :)

Model Man Tom is a great source as well...and in the hobby.

Tons of cool lighting products:http://www.modelersbrand.com/

Cheers, Scott.
I sell almost everything LED, except fiber optics. I cannot recommend enough www.thefiberopticstore.com. Paul is the owner and a great guy to deal with.

The one time I tried fishing line, the light transmission was negligible. It glowed dimly as far as the light's natural fall-off, but it didn't transmit any particular distance. Perhaps this brand/type is a different, more modern composition of materials? It's certainly rock-bottom cheaper if you are into the quantity over quality side of the equation. If equivalent, it's a game changer.

Fiber optics get their light transmission with an ultra-thin, flexible, glass interior coated in plastic. Fishing line would only be a plastic of one kind or another. ... Being that you don't want fish to see it, is it better to maximize light transmission down the line or stunt it? If maximize, then perhaps this monofilament is the bee's knees! How does it look at a foot long or more distant and with one or more ~90° bends in the line?

Latest posts

Back