Sopwith Camel WWI Fighter[WIP]

ScarredKustoms

Whatcha building!?
Work has been super busy lately so I haven't been on here much, but I did get to splurge a little(very little) stopped at the local hobby shop "Prop Shop" while I was out today and picked up 1/72 Scale Sopwith Camel WWI Fighter by Academy for the low price of $4.75. This will be my first airplane kit in over 10 years... and I think it's the first model I have bought in the same amount of time.

Box:

RF172729.jpg

Contents:

RF172734.jpg

Really simple kit only one page of instructions. Think I am actually going to do some research on this plane, something I have never really done. Probably won't get to start working on it until Sunday though. :-[ Which is actually funny because I have like 20 sum other models that I have started already. :-\

A.D.D. Is a pain sometimes. lol

Cool choice. For some odd reason I love bi planes. I have one that I should start too....and share in the A.D.D. - that would make 7 or so started kits not counting all of the HOTH stuff.

I have discovered that I love starting builds. Sad really.

i love the old Sopwith....

the only issue with it, it was a small plane with a big rotary piston engine, the large rotating engine block, in combination with its small light airframe, gave it a big gyroscopic effect, when you yaw it wanted to pitch, when you pitched it wanted to yaw, and some pilots would get confused on takeoff, and find themselves crashing, but some pilots would use it to there advantage.

But Ace it was wickedly agile - almost too much so.

S.K. - good choice, I have a similar kit here in my stash. I love WW1 planes, an incredible time in the history of flight. It should be a fun little build for you. Looking forward to seeing some pictures...

Little thing looks downright tiny.
Skarred, you do realize that, if you build this, you are obligated to do up a Fokker D for it to fight, right?

JMac said:
But Ace it was wickedly agile - almost too much so.

S.K. - good choice, I have a similar kit here in my stash. I love WW1 planes, an incredible time in the history of flight. It should be a fun little build for you. Looking forward to seeing some pictures...

of course, beacuse it was very light, and had a very powerful engine, it was extremely maneuverable! and like i said the gyroscopic effect was often used to a advantage.

Quaralane said:
Skarred, you do realize that, if you build this, you are obligated to do up a Fokker D for it to fight, right?

yea.... DR1 Fokker, uhuuuu, now that was a nimble little thing, my favorite fighter of WWII (and not beacuse Richtofen flew it.) i just love the way it looks, and beacuse of its insane... agility, it turns on a dime, climbs quick, and flys high, the DR1 however had its set backs, you had to hold the stick forward for it to fly straight, extra wing created more drag, yada ya.... otherwise a outstanding fighter.

Quaralane said:

It is really small I put the fuselage together last night and started to clean up the seams have a feeling me and my opti-visor are going to get really close on this build. As far as building a Fokker D for it to fight I probably will end up building one just because it is a really cool plane. But I don't think I am going with a traditional paint scheme on this bird. Found this decal layouts for foreign Camel's

01.jpg

But I might pull a page out of Ace's rule book and do something completely different. ;D

Got a little bit done on my bird hard not to just blow through this build with it being so small. Trying to add as much detail without over doing it because of the scale. A lot of the pictures I have seen online it is all wood around the cockpit.

Here what I got so far.

RF212752.jpg

that is looking awesome!

may i drop you a tip?

the Sopwith Camels rotary piston engine had a all loss oil system and was lubricated by basically castra oil. as the engine would run, the engine would not cycle its oil, rather it would slowly lose it all over, i think out the top of the cylinder heads, out the rockers. this is one of the reasons pilots would wear a scarf, to wipe the oil off there goggles, the entire airplane, the pilot, and anyone flying behind would get covered in oil.

but you already have a good weathering set up which shows this well XD

Looking really good so far.
Got to agree with JMac's question, though. You going to rig her?

If by "rig it up" you mean add wing cabling etc. (I'm not that familiar with aircraft obviously) I keep going back and forth on the idea and not to sure what to use to simulate the correct scale cable. I did snag some fishing line from the garage that looks like it could be about right but then I would have to paint it. Dunno yet I know it would look alot better with it.

If you decide to rig it, don't forget to think about thread used for sewing. They make different thickness of thread, and you can chose the color too.

Almost done decided against rigging it after breaking 3 drill bits... :-X :-X :-X :-X
this thing is so small I am making a mental note to never pick up a 1/72 scale anything. Specially when I am all thumbs. To notes from Ace and made it a little extra oily. just have to finish painting up the struts and add a few decals.

RF252763.jpg

:eek:
now thats a good looking sopwith, well weathered too, looks like that old girl has seen some real combat and service, excellent work!

makes me want to go fly a old Sopwith camel 8)

Looks sweet ...Dont forget to dirty up your decals !... Best thing I have found for rigging 1/72nd is stretched sprue !,cut to length and glue in place ....simples !

Chris.

Latest posts

Back