Solander's Trade Federation Battleship [lots of pics]

Solander

Hi, guys!
Its been an eternity since my last posting something here at SMA. Glad the pause is finnally over.

Today I'd like to show you my recently complete queen of all my shelfqueens, the longest scale model project in my life, that I've tried to push forward to completion since it's start in May 2012 (!!!) and just a thing that I am extremely glad to finish:

The Trade Federation Droid Control Battleship.

"The ambassadors for the Supreme Chancellor wish to board immediately"​

6sW93gSIdLs.jpg

The model depicts the modified Lucrehulk-class LH-3210 superheavy cargo freighter Saak'ak (known as Profiteer in Basic Galactic language), retrofited to be a control platform for the droid army of the Trade Federation.

As according to the Wookipedia, modified from Lucrehulk-class LH-3210 cargo freighters, the most notable difference in Droid Control Ships was the large communications array on its dorsal hull. The sensor arrays of the starship encircled the command centerspheres, while giant central control computers designed to radio commands to the massive droid armies from remote locations helped Trade Federation officials command battles far from danger.

To accompany the ship, I've also decided to place another vessel on the same stand with it. That is another massive freighter - the Techno Union's Hardcell-class interstellar transport, like those we've seen destroid by LAATs of the Republic Army in the end of the Episode II.

Depicting the two models together, I wanted to show a moment of cargo containers with deactivated battle droids manufactured according to the Trade Federation's special order transfer from Techno Union freighter to the Battleship in the void of open space. That is quite probable, as I think, for such a scene to have taken place some time before the beginning of the Phantom Manace.

Both of the models are approximately 1/4222 scale and both are made from various scratch along with the custom base. The main hull shape of the Battleship was vacuumformed for me by a friend of mine probably on the base of the Estes Rocket. After the two parts assembl I've heavilly detailed it using the kitbashing technique. All the rest has been completely scratchbuilt from zero.

JKhaImCNohw.jpg

crfKdDrinMY.jpg

7uoa1g9PlIc.jpg

mwq8K0Ngmtc.jpg

HVHJsDzfS-s.jpg

N4EufaHILTs.jpg

afXFxInVT54.jpg

H_vQBom3qfg.jpg

A view onto the Techno Union starship's bridge (with the outstanding radar module on it's top seen on the left of the hull), the locked main cargo-bay hatch and maneuvering thrusters ansemble. Under the central living ring, that separates the cargo and engine modules of the ship, the escape pods are located:

N9TuBudj--0.jpg

The cargohold section of the ship, with hyperspace antena module on it's top:

WYcuo6HXV8I.jpg

A small quadjumper-class carrier (say hi to The Force Awakens) departures with a block of cargo containers to deliver them to the hangars of the Trade Federation Battleship, located nearby.

3JsBusBncBo.jpg

The main section of the starship is all covered with magnetically attached containers, that did not fit into the internal storage space (a logistic solution much like in case of the GR-70 Rebel transport):

AsuNe0E1xC0.jpg

A view on the main battleship's engines and the engineering and reactor sections:

dfdrCpuDzjQ.jpg

The "arms" surrounding the central living sphere contain ennormous cargoholds, refited for fiting an army of battledroids and war machines:

6p4WC09fvmY.jpg

A huge central communication array through which the remote control of the droid army is performed:

3s0Q8xjOQBA.jpg

In addition to the main ship's bridge, additional flight control bridge from wich the droid starfighters are operated has been in the front on top of the centrosphere. Fighters control signal is transmitted through the transmitter dishes installed on the centrosphere nearby.

ZkY-ueXC1NI.jpg

The hangar bays on the "arms" of the ship give access to the internal storage space:

uen7EDfdD_k.jpg

A correllian corvette docked to the frontal docking clamps has brought onboard the Techno Union's officials to commit the formalities covering the deal between them and the Trade Federation:

bM3t_excZ1k.jpg

And just some more pics:

YMp_5bXA7Gw.jpg

iY1WyikamFg.jpg

x32qChAHHyE.jpg

VzHeIe1mKzU.jpg

Dl4JZB5SeRk.jpg

q8oX9z15LZo.jpg

CZL97aJuMlg.jpg

jUtD0_-cR3I.jpg

hZAV1d07GmQ.jpg

2W5FqhfOvj8.jpg

mzPBPIkjE08.jpg

photo-110840163_399352575

X_aa8mb4uOQ.jpg

LZXQqaitQ7M.jpg

0JGIqlvupCU.jpg

9AN5yT7ZLt0.jpg

AZBqffk0YgA.jpg

THBlc7cswf8.jpg

hGlOdGM6Rxs.jpg

HB71JwTTZw4.jpg

SHTMtWchF7Y.jpg

KDixOPRhmQs.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed and thanks for looking!

Well -
That's a hell-of-a thing ;)

I certainly approve ;D lots ;D

How big is the model ? -- I didn't understand the Estes rocket connection with the vacuum mold for the main hull ... from some-kinda launch-base ?

How many LEDs are in this thing ? or you used some fiber optics also ?

Thanks ,
Uru

Hey, guys, thanks a ton for your kind inspirational words here!
Really drives my hands to continue with new modeling projects ;)

urumomo, the battleship is approx. 27 cm in diameter and 11 cm tall (without the base). As I've mentioned, I've used the basic shape consisting of two corresponding vacuumformed parts (top and bottom). Judging by the dimensions and the fact that I've actually inquired the pal of mine, who had provided me those, and he has confirmed :) those vacuum forms had been indeed formed over the ESTES rocket (this one:

s-l1600.jpg

For lighting I've used two LED striper of approx. 12 LEDs each for each of the "arms", 2LEDs for the centre-ball and 7 direct LEDs for the engines. All of the windows are lid with the use of fiber optic strands indeed.

Latest posts

Back