"Snowy Wind" - Yukikaze: Tamiya's 1/350th Scale Japanese Navy Destroyer

Hello Mario!! Thank you very much for the kind words my friend!! It is most appreciated!!!

I am happy to hear you pick this kit up. She is a fun filled build! Your question about the decals on the Port and starboard sides......

You can see in this picture, I placed the Main decal just at the end of the superstructure where the forward funnel is located. The Draft markings, the tiny numbers that show the depth that the hull rides low in the water, are placed in the centerof the four characters.

3-23-12yuk021.jpg

Picture for discusion purposes only
IJN_Yukikaze600_2.jpg

I tossed up the reference picture I used for you as well. As for the stern markings, I used the supplied kit directions for placement. Basically I centered this one below the external degaussing cable (molded cable that runs around the outside of the hull just below the weather deck)

3-24-12yuk021.jpg

I hope I help with your question(s) on this. Please feel free to post any other question you may have on this, I will try and answer them for you! I look forward to seeing your progress too. Good luck!! ;)

tHANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT AND COMPLETE REP0LAY I WILL TRY TO BUY IN THE SAME SHOP THAN YOU , I WILL BE IN HK AND JAPAN SOON FOR job REASONS , I WANT RGIVE U AGAIN MY CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE WONDERFULL WORK, HOPE TO SEE MORE MODELS DONE BY YOU
Mario

You are most welcome Mario! Anytime. Keep a look out...I always have something on the bench! Enjoy Japan!!! Lots of great stores over there especially HLJ (Hobby Link Japan)!!! Good luck!!!!

PM sent.

Oh man that is just stunning brother `T` :eek:............sooooo glad i`ve managed to catch sight of this one, never fancied doing one of these floaties but boy you`ve changed my outlook on them now, fantastic work buddy ;D ;D

Hiya Boots!!! ;D Thank you my Across-da-pond brotha'!! LOL!!! Thank you!! I have seen you do a floaty before!! Always good to have a little change in the diet so to speak!! Keeps things interesting!! Appreciate the comments and you stopping by for a peak!!

DAMG tod you are like the weathering GOD

i was looking at the last pics not knowing this was your build and i was like DANG this one loook good AND the weathering is AWESOME. But then i saw it was you i was like DUH obviously thats Tod

LOL....thank you Jael!!! Some revived interest in this it seems. One of the HERD bought the kit and was looking for a little advise! Still FUN I tell you!! LOL!!!!

Looks amazing never built a ship before and this has inspired me to try once again top marks

Thanks a bunch Gee!! Happy to see you giving a shot!! I will keep an eye out for a ship build from you soon I hope!! ;)

Hello TRM,

I just registered here on SMA and this is my very first post. I saw the banner for your Yukikaze build somewhere and followed your post. Amazing! I wish I have half the skill, patience and talent that you do! Very beautiful end result! I actually have started on something similar, Hasegawa's "Isokaze", also on 1/350th scale. Isokaze is the same class destroyer as the Yukikaze. I believe their are both of the Kagero class. The Yukikaze and Isokaze looks very similar. After reading after reading the book "Destroyer Captain" by Tameichi Hara, I got the bug to build a Japanese destroyer! This is the very first ship model I have had the courage to assemble. I actually bought mine before you started working on your project. My ship project, unfortunately has run aground. What stopped me was the installation of the photo-etched grab handles on the turrets. Would you mind sharing how you attached yours? Yours look perfectly aligned and glued. After seeing your handy work, I am inspired to continue working on my ship. Again, congratulations on a wonderful model you finished.

-Joseph

Hello Joesph! Thank you for the kind words and for making your way over to the HERD !!

The Isokaze is another fine looking vessel. The grab handles you are referring to are pretty delicate and were fiddly at best to work with. I remember take breaks between turrets, helped a bit. Which PE set are you using? Tom's model works covered what was needed for the build, however was fairly on the thin side. This makes the bending a bit slower process.

Application of the bars: I first propped the turret up and/or taped with doubled back tape to keep it sturdy. Then after cutting off the long section of the railing, as they need to be cut individually to length, I would hold the section to the turret to get an estimate on the length needed. I remember (I am thinking) the sections were 7 sections per side length. The long strips were long enough to do all the sections on all the turrets with a little left over. Next, I would hold the rail with one set of tweezers and then use a second set to clamp on where the bend was needed. Then using my finger or the other set of tweezers, I slightly bent the piece in the downward angle to the approximate shape. I checked the alignment and then would bend ever so slightly more than the angle that was there. This helps keep the entire section touching the turret top at the same time.

Gluing: I used a minimal amount of CA (super glue) to attach mine. With a small pool of CA on some wax paper (does not stick) I dipped the post sections in just barely coating the tips and then hold the piece in place. I find myself using PVA (water based white glue) more often now for one, it dries clear and give a fairly hard bond, but, it will clean up easier than CA when you get a positioning issue.

I hope some of this helps. These are some of the most delicate piece to date, that I have had to install but will enhance the overall appearance. Work on one turret for a short while and then take a break if you get frustrated at all.....there is "no rushing" in modeling..LOL!!! It will payoff and look great.

I would love to follow your progress once you get back on the horse. Start up a build thread and keep us posted!! Please let me know if you have any other questions I or certainly on of the other members can answer for you!!! Good luck and have FUN!~! ;)

TRM, thank you very much for your response and of course your willingness to share tips. I have asked the same question on other model ship forums and this is the best so far.

I ended up buying photo-etch from Lion Roar and Alliance Models. I will definitely try your technique when I do find the time to work on this kit again and I will open a thread for it!

Hello Joe!! Glad to help when, where and if I can! I like the Lion Roar stuff not too familiar with the Alliance yet. When you get around to digging in to the project again and posting...hopefully, pop up a couple pics of the AM packages you nabbed!! ;)

TRM said:
Hello Everybody!!!

This has been a fun ride!!! This is the final update for the Yukikaze....I am calling this one complete. I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I have and I appreciate all the encouragement and company along the way.

With that, on to the pics............

3-26-12002.jpg

3-26-12003.jpg

3-26-12015.jpg

3-26-12019.jpg

3-26-12021.jpg

3-26-12030.jpg

3-26-12029.jpg

3-24-12yuk021.jpg

3-26-12006.jpg

Again, thank you all for hanging out with me while I worked on this.

Thank you to Scott, SMA and AK Interactive for the support and opportunity to create this review/build.

Finally and most certainly not least, thank you to Hobby Link Japan for their full support in the Hobby Link Japan Build Series here on SMA.

If you are interested in purchasing this kit of the IJN Yukikaze please go HERE! And please stop by Hobby Link Japan - http://www.hlj.com/ and check everything that they have to offer!!!

Thanks for tuning in!!!
wow i need to get a loan there are so many kits i want and seeing this in all its finished glory and may i say its a beautiful piece of work...well done bud

Thank you Sir!!! I appreciate you taking the time to check it out!! I know the feeling....looking into some loans myself I think!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Luigi!! LOL..thought you seen this when it was done? Big fun in a little package on this one!! ;D

Latest posts

Back