Sniper! Diorama

Jim62

Finished one today. I call this "Sniper!". The Nazi's are on a hasty retreat using booby traps, machine gun teams, and snipers to slow down the Allied advance. Unfortunately today Pvt Replacement met up with a sniper when his squad was on recon of a small town the Nazi's had recently vacated. As he hits the ground corporal Igotyoucovered, ducks and yells out to him to lay down and stay still, knowing that if he rushes out to the private he will end up in the same condition or worse. While Sgt. I'mincharge yells back and signals the remaining men to take cover from the sniper. Now the game begins. Pvt. Replacement is only wounded by the sniper, as is the norm. Now the sniper waits for Pvt Replacement's fellow soldiers to rush out to their buddies aid, right into his line of fire.
IMG_1099 (2).JPGIMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPGIMG_1108.JPGIMG_1109.JPGIMG_1110.JPG

Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding Jim, nicely done.
Thank you very much man it started to go south on me, I had no idea what I was going to do with all the road space I created then it hit me. Rubble rubble and more rubble. I did the wall with individual foam stones glued to a foam backing. I had seen others doing such work and thought I'd give it a try. I thought it might be too tedious and cause a bout of profanity, but I couldn't get over how relaxing it was doing it that way.

This reminds me of a Tiger I dio I built many years ago, as it had some of the same type of rubble, which always adds some visual interest.

Pro tip: if you're stuck for materials for making an old school European style cobblestone street, you can buy a bag of dehydrated split peas, they work great.

This reminds me of a Tiger I dio I built many years ago, as it had some of the same type of rubble, which always adds some visual interest.

Pro tip: if you're stuck for materials for making an old school European style cobblestone street, you can buy a bag of dehydrated split peas, they work great.
Thanks I'll remember that. I've done one so far by carving the foam but when I do another I will probably do individual stones. I'm in thinking mode now for the next one so I'm not sure where I'm headed yet for the next but I wrote down that info for the peas to consider.

Well done!

Quality figures, a hand that actually looks like a real hand on that Sgt. yelling.
Thank you very much I struggle on figures, I actually painted, stripped and repainted these figures a couple times before I was happy with them. I like that hand too that's why I took a photo from that angle. It just screams STOP! when I look at it from that direction.

Thanks and sorry to ask but who is Shep Paine?
As Wolf said, he was a model maker, but more than that, he was a classically trained artist, a painter and a sculptor as well as a model maker. He sculpted figures for Valiant Miniatures, who are still in business and Shep's figures are still for sale. He also sculpted figures for his own dioramas, and as one-of-a-kind pieces for commission or for his own enjoyment.

Shep was a member and former president of the Military Miniature Society of Illinois, who developed the Open System of judging shows (gold-silver-bronze, as an exhibitor may deserve, instead of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and that's it, as in IPMS awards). He was the first Grand Master named by the Miniature Figure Collectors of America.

Shep wrote books on building dioramas and painting figures, and many modelers were introduced to the idea of building dioramas to feature their models, through a series of brochures Shep wrote for dioramas he built for Monogram Models. He promoted the idea that the techniques were available to every modeler, including scratchbuilding and super-detailing (there wasn't really aftermarket till around the 90s), but also groundwork, planning out the scene, pitfalls to avoid.

You can see the Monogram dioramas here: http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/

and his books are still published by Kalmbach Publishing. I think they're better than what's published today, really.

Shep also pioneered the art of the box diorama, and many of his pieces, while in private collections, can be seen here: https://www.boxdioramas.com/sheperd-paine

I'm in the MFCA, and we had a retrospective of his work, as it turned out, the year before he passed away. Shep was active at our show right up till he passed, and it was an honor and a pleasure to get to visit with him.

Your improvisation to address the open space reminded me of Shep's advice about staging a diorama.

When Shep’s first book came out, it was like sneaking a look into the
Incantations of the Sorcerer and I was an unworthy apprentice.
I’d been looking out for it, after it being advertised first, in those Challenge Publications, like Military Modeling and Scale Modeling.
Fine Scale was several years away.
Still have it. All dog eared and scuffed up.
Hope to be buried with it.

Super looking build Jim. Love the stone work.
A ‘How to’ on that would be well received I believe.

As Wolf said, he was a model maker, but more than that, he was a classically trained artist, a painter and a sculptor as well as a model maker. He sculpted figures for Valiant Miniatures, who are still in business and Shep's figures are still for sale. He also sculpted figures for his own dioramas, and as one-of-a-kind pieces for commission or for his own enjoyment.

Shep was a member and former president of the Military Miniature Society of Illinois, who developed the Open System of judging shows (gold-silver-bronze, as an exhibitor may deserve, instead of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and that's it, as in IPMS awards). He was the first Grand Master named by the Miniature Figure Collectors of America.

Shep wrote books on building dioramas and painting figures, and many modelers were introduced to the idea of building dioramas to feature their models, through a series of brochures Shep wrote for dioramas he built for Monogram Models. He promoted the idea that the techniques were available to every modeler, including scratchbuilding and super-detailing (there wasn't really aftermarket till around the 90s), but also groundwork, planning out the scene, pitfalls to avoid.

You can see the Monogram dioramas here: http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/

and his books are still published by Kalmbach Publishing. I think they're better than what's published today, really.

Shep also pioneered the art of the box diorama, and many of his pieces, while in private collections, can be seen here: https://www.boxdioramas.com/sheperd-paine

I'm in the MFCA, and we had a retrospective of his work, as it turned out, the year before he passed away. Shep was active at our show right up till he passed, and it was an honor and a pleasure to get to visit with him.

Your improvisation to address the open space reminded me of Shep's advice about staging a diorama.
Thanks for that info I'll check those links out.

When Shep’s first book came out, it was like sneaking a look into the
Incantations of the Sorcerer and I was an unworthy apprentice.
I’d been looking out for it, after it being advertised first, in those Challenge Publications, like Military Modeling and Scale Modeling.
Fine Scale was several years away.
Still have it. All dog eared and scuffed up.
Hope to be buried with it.

Super looking build Jim. Love the stone work.
A ‘How to’ on that would be well received I believe.
Thanks, and for the stone wall how too. I cut a thin piece of pink foam to the shape I wanted for the wall, then cut varied widths of foam strips about a foot long from foam readi board I bought at Dollar Tree it's the perfect thickness for stones and bricks. You can also use the foam from meat packages or foam egg cartons. I cut the strips into varying sizes to be stones. After that I put the foam pieces in a solo cup with a few rocks, cover it up and shake away. That gives the rounded smooth edges to make them look more like random stones. Then I glued each stone with Elmer's onto the thin backer piece I had cut, mixing up the sizes and placing some to stick out to make it look like a very old settled wall, built with whatever stones were available. To give the foam somewhat of a rock texture I rolled up aluminum foil in a ball and rolled it back and forth across the finnished wall. Then I primed it with gray stynylrez and sprayed individual stones with different colors of Tamiya paint. Sorry but I can't recall all the colors I used, light gray, sky gray, buff, deck tan, and one or two others. After drying I laid it flat and poured grout on it then lightly brushed it off to leave it only in the gaps. Then I sprayed it with modpodge spray to hold all that in place and the wall was done. For the moss growing I just dripped diluted modpodge in the seems and sprinkled it with flock. I got the ideas from varying youtube folks like Luke Towan, Kathy Millat, Nightshift, etc. I think I'm gonna try it on a building next, Nightshift has a video of a back drop barn he did this way and it just looks really good to me so I think I'll give something like that a try. Oh most important here is a hot wire cutter. I can personally recommend Proxxon, but there are many out there to choose from. I could not do this without that tool. Don't know why but I find it very challenging and relaxing at the same time.

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the quick how-to. Awesome.
Luke Towan, is fantastic. Kathy Millat also has a
great channel. Just now added Nightshift to my
subscriptions.
Where can we find the time to watch it all?
I know, I wish I had more time, huh?
I am going to have to give this a whirl. It does
seem easy enough, just some time involved.

I found some blade tips that fit into the threaded end of a soldering iron, for use in cutting foam. They're basically Nr 11 blades, in a threaded base that fits in the threaded end of a wand-style iron (mine is a Weller). I haven't tried one yet, but I'll post when I do.

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the quick how-to. Awesome.
Luke Towan, is fantastic. Kathy Millat also has a
great channel. Just now added Nightshift to my
subscriptions.
Where can we find the time to watch it all?
I know, I wish I had more time, huh?
I am going to have to give this a whirl. It does
seem easy enough, just some time involved.
You are welcome and I just saw a new video from Nightshift that he made on carving the foam as well. I did that for a cobblestone road on a dio and it works too and of course is faster, but I really like the individual stone or brick look and I'm not in a rush to finish anything. I may feel differently after I do it with bricks the size of the red ones on this diorama but I just gotta give it a try. The table top gamers on youtube have a lot of good info too when it comes to using foam. Black magic craft is one I've watched. I typically do a lot of video watching in between builds it's part of my process to get my mind on a new build and any fresh ideas to try out.

I found some blade tips that fit into the threaded end of a soldering iron, for use in cutting foam. They're basically Nr 11 blades, in a threaded base that fits in the threaded end of a wand-style iron (mine is a Weller). I haven't tried one yet, but I'll post when I do.
I look forward to seeing that.

Latest posts

Back