Small Styrene Domes or Hemispheres

Daf57

More Jerry Cans!!
Hi all - I'm new to scratch building and had a question as I start a little project. I see that between Evergreen and Plastruct we got sheets, tubes, different shapes of rods ... but what if a ball, hemisphere or dome shape is needed? Is there a source for difference sized styrene hemispheres or domes or maybe you guys have some suggestions for this item. The part I'm looking to scratch out has a dome shaped protrusion. I suppose I could sand/file a rod but wanted to know if there was something prefab available.

Size-wise I'm looking for around .080 or so.

Thanks!
Daf

Nothing really out there specifically for that that I can recall.

You could use something like a MV lense. Shaped like a headlight, and come in many different sizes. Or check out your local Michaels/AC Moore, in the bead section, you might find something suitable.

You could also, form the shape on rod and if all you need is one then cut it off or if you need a few use that as the master and heat a section of sheet and press the form and if you need a clear one you can use the plastic from blister paks to make clear ones.I normally use the blister paks, the kind that household goods come in. It's a little thicker that others and still absorbs heat well. Good luck. :D

Go back to Plastruct. Look for the PDF of their catalog on their site. Page 28 has hemispheres. 29 and 30 have dish shapes. Then look for the PDF of their price list and find the corresponding stock numbers. Now find their online ordering and get what you need.

Thanks, Ziz - I saw those. A bit too large for my current needs, however. I was able to shape some rod and that worked fine.

Thanks anyway.
Daf

Latest posts

Back