SMA BSC #2: 1/4222 Ertl Star Destroyer

Nice.

Tough call on the prints. If your goal is to enter this in the contest then you'll have to use the current prints as is...

Man this is going to be TIGHT..........I JUST ordered the rest of the bridge parts. I needed to do some heavy duty 3D cleanup before printing. Even so I did the "print it anyway" option so here's hoping they turn out OK. I really don't want to ruin the build but it looks like these parts don't work out I might have to scrap this project for the contest....

But that might free me to do something I know I can handle in a month....we'll see.

Guys I'm once again doubting I'll be able to finish this in time....I'd rather not rush it...I don't even have the top hull scribed :( On the plus side, this means that all the parts I've 3D printed can be cast for upgrade sets. :D

This is one build I wouldn't rush. No one can fault for not finishing you considering all the work you are putting into this beast.

Now, if this was a complete scratch-built 1/144 Star Destroyer, you should have had it finished within a month. ::)

Guys, my bridge parts came in Friday. They're sitting in a box at work so I'll bring them home and prime them tomorrow. But in the mean time I was thinking about a strategy for the rest of this build. Obviously I'm not going to get it done for the end of the SMA contest or Wonderfest (sorry WF-goers...but my Errant Venture will be there). Allowing myself this newfound patience got me thinking about having all the parts produced as upgrade sets.

The part I'm concerned about is the conning tower. It seems tremendously fiddely to get molded and cast (Tom, Jimi, Del, Stefan...other casters...you guys want to weigh in?) It's either getting them cast in resin or include ONLY 3D printed parts...I can make a multi-print file to save on setup costs. The full upgrade set would be these:

domes
bridge head
bridge face
turrets + barrels

Arvey and Odyssey have all the other parts covered. Eventually maybe I'll add to it...still...thoughts?

Here's the conning tower again:

avgr_img_8212.jpg

Like I said, this looks like it’s not going to make it to the deadline. With 2 weeks left there’s waaaay too much work to finish it up for the SMA contest and Wonderfest. On the bright side, I finally have all the parts I need to develop a new upgrade set! Here are the primed 3D prints for the head and face. There’s a little bit of cleanup and since I opted for the ‘print it anyway’ method, some detail was lost and will need to be reconstructed.

isdhead_imag1445.jpg

isdhead_imag1446.jpg

isdhead_imag1447.jpg

isdhead_imag1449.jpg

isdhead_imag1450.jpg

isdhead_imag1452.jpg

isdhead_imag1454.jpg

Latest posts

Back