SMA BSC #1: 1/48 Tamiya Fw190D-9 JV44 “Red 3″

Stunning work its progressing well now the paint has started

Dan B

Small update: I got the layer of "sky" down on the sides and the 2 tones of green are sitting on my desk :D Hopefully I'll be able to paint it up this weekend. Tight finish but I think I can I think I can I think I can....but right now it looks like I won't have any "new" builds for the sci-fi category but will have a few all opens. :p Actually, I take that back, I do have ONE but didn't start a thread for it...

Major painting steps complete!!

bwfw_imag0581.jpg

bwfw_imag0583.jpg

bwfw_imag0584.jpg

bwfw_imag0585.jpg

bwfw_imag0586.jpg

bwfw_imag0587.jpg

bwfw_imag1708.jpg

bwfw_imag1710.jpg

bwfw_imag1711.jpg

bwfw_imag1712.jpg

bwfw_imag1713.jpg

bwfw_imag1715.jpg

Thanks gents. A few touch up spots but those can wait until next week :D

This extended deadline is really a lifesaver! I'm able to get a solid sci-fi entry in :D :D

Now that WF is over I've been able to refocus on this guy!!! I need to be more careful here to keep the weathering subtle and in scale.... I did a round of paint touch up and then detail painting. After that it was the flat coat and future. THEN decals!

OH, and there was some weird stuff happening with the red on the belly so I went back in and added some variations by hand.
bwfw_imag3014.jpg

Another trick I read somewhere was that the HGW rivets respond really well to a light sanding. So I carefully went about that...I think the result looks pretty darn good on the wings. Didn't work so well on the belly or the sides mainly because the paint was a little thicker, but that's ok. Just another reason I should stick with the rivet tool...
bwfw_imag2988.jpg

bwfw_imag2989.jpg

I do kind of like the weathered effect the light sanding brought about...
bwfw_imag2996.jpg

And in between those steps I had to make a new whip antenna from stretched sprue. The photo etch one just kept bending and wasn’t thick enough.
bwfw_imag3012.jpg

The stand also got a nice coat of med/dark green with a gloss coat. It also features the name plaque from the PE set and the profile decal from the sheet on it.
bwfw_imag3002.jpg

bwfw_imag3079.jpg

bwfw_imag3081.jpg

bwfw_imag3089.jpg

bwfw_imag3136.jpg

Thanks!! They were tricky because the decals actually had carrier film in between the stripes that would have looked like crap. So I trimmed them by lightly scoring through the film to separate it from the stripes and using it as a spacing guide. :D

Thanks gents! I have an Iwata HP-BH coming soon, too, so I'm HOPING my painting will go nowhere but up. I'm great with a brush, but an AIRbrush is whole different beast!!

Part 13 on Friday, the 13th!!! Bwahahaha. Ok, after I gave the decals a couple of brushings of Micro Sol I sealed the whole bird with Future again. I didn’t completely get rid of the film, but hey, they’re decals! Not everything can be a dry transfer. :D Once the Future was completely dry I brushed MiG’s neutral wash over it completely, making sure to brush the more viscous stuff into the deeper panel lines. To clean it off I just rubbed Q-Tips in the direction of airflow until I was satisfied with the result. Not only did it tone down the Future’s gloss, but it gave the colors an overall blending effect, which I like. Once she was clean a coat of flat clear was applied to seal it in. As of now I’m in the chipping phase. I tried using my silver colored pencil but it just wasn’t working how it should, so I switched to using Testor’s chrome paint marker dabbed onto a palette, then using my “chipping effect” brush to lightly dry brush areas. I know this bird didn’t see a TON of action, but the chipping effect makes it feel a bit more real, in my opinion.

bwfw_imag3198.jpg

bwfw_imag3201.jpg

bwfw_imag3202.jpg

bwfw_imag3204.jpg

bwfw_imag3205.jpg

bwfw_imag3207.jpg

bwfw_imag3211.jpg

bwfw_imag3216.jpg

You should!! It's a great modeling playground. Anyway, she's all done and now I just need to get to the photo studio!!!!

Latest posts

Back