SINSENGUMI & WWII USMC “duck hunter” camo fatigues (Tarawa period - Nov 1943)

Jelly

Rob. G.
:D

Good Evening to u all!

Well, guys, :)

??? I have an existential question / doubt related with the “duck hunter” camo fatigues that a lot of Marines wear during Op Galvanic (AKA Tarawa Battle).

Take a look at those historical photos:

tarawa_shoup_375.jpg

Tarawa07.jpg

Now, for example, take a look at those figures:

3543_box.jpg

1412401.jpg

And finally, now a look at those SINSENGUMI decals (they call it “frog skin camo”, but it is the same as “duck hunter”, I think):

s-mcd014.jpg

s-mcd015.jpg

s-mcd016.jpg

Well… I can see three different color shades in the Sinsengumi decals…

Here are my questions…

1.- Wich was the correct shade for Tarawa or USMC fatigues?

Or

2.- There was a prevailing shade over the other two, in 1943?

And

3.- Did Marines wear simultaneously different shades? (for example: helmet´s cover shade different from pants/jacket one)

After watching the excellent Schweinhunds´s tutorial ( :eek: ) on using Sinsengumi, this product is beginning to interest me. :eek:

Thanks in advance, guys. Maybe you can provide me with some info... :)
Salud / Cheers ;)
Roberto G. / RG

JELLY,

Check this link out. It's th Marine Corps Museum in Quantico Virginia. It's got th Info you need !!

http://www.usmcmuseum.com/index.asp

Also this might help - http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/

http://www.ww2-camouflage.com/page10.php - Another good one. It gives th History of th Uniform commonly named - Frog Skin or th Leopard Skin

This might also help !

- http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675069059_United-States-Marines_Japanese-troops_aircraft-drop-bombs_explosion-at-the-beach

It looks like They wore the Autumn color of the uniform .

CHEERS !!!

Hello, guys

@ Panzerace007... thank you very much, mate! :D :D

I´ll take a read at these links, and look for the info.

I´m absolutely sure that I´ll get the correct answers, Erick. Sure! :D

See you!
RG

If my memory serves me well, some Yanks have worn this Como uniform during D day! Or a similar variation.....

A small unit that is!! And some of their guys got shot at by our own troops... Thinking at first they were Germans.... This is why we stop using that camo in ETO.....

I would try to replicate that if I was you.... The pacific pattern....

It would be a cool experiment !

once again..... This triggered an old memory about American and German camos....
If I am wrong... So be it!

Hey NORM,

You are Correct Sir !! Check out that 3rd. Link I posted. It gives the History of th Frog-Skin Camo & Notes that the Exact same pattern camo was borrowed by the Army. A couple of Infantry units had it.
1stArmoredcamoUnisNormandy.png
This Unit could be th 41st. Armored Infantry in St. Lo. displaying the Marine Camo. Shortly after, They were pulled out of Service ( the Camo) as These Guys received Friendly Fire , being mistaken for SS troops ! 2nd. Armored & 30th Infantry also wore th Camo for a Very Short time. As you can see on th Hip of the Soldier in the Foreground on the left ,IIRC it's a Walthers PPK , just like one James Bond carried. A War souvenir for that Chap !

It was reversible & has a brownish shade for Autumn & a Green side for the Summer.

:) Hi again, blokes,

:) Yes, all the doubts have been cleared ! very quickly and exhaustively! :D

@ Norm: :) Ok, chap, you´re right... Ok, I think I´ll try to do it by hand first. If the results are OK, here we go... If not... the figures can be washed with acetone (like my failed attemp to paint Erbsbenmuster / Dot 44 German camo pattern... but that... that´s another history ;D )...

@ Erik: :D what can I say, mate! Your links and additional info have been decisive! Specially the info from the USMC Museum....

Cheers/salud.
RG

JELLY,

Plan a trip over here ! If you get th chance come to Virginia & I can get you an Up close Tour of th Museum !! The Dioramas are Awesome !! The Mannequins are Modeled after Real Serving Marines !! & are in 1:1 scale !! They are Awesome !

Anytime Brotha' !!! That's Why We all hang out here !! To share & Trade Intel on the Models We Dig building !!!!

Saludos / vamos a beber dos cervezas con tigo

ERIK

I didn't mean for you to PAINT it.... but to go with the closest German Camo from SinSenGumi

it might look pretty good !!! who knows ?

and Have some German on the other side.... with some of that same or close by Camo.... to depict this problematic situation that lead to some of our boys to be shot at !!!

anyway...

Best of luck with your project !!!

I wasn't on Glue when I dreamed of that.... incident.... Good old Norm... with a mind full of
useless information .... LOL !!!

Latest posts

Back