Show us your mancave(s)!

Just paint your wall like the backside of a Star Destroyer's bridge/tower and it'll fit right in!

Just make sure it doesn't float away when your wall jettisons it's trash before jumping into hyperspace. ;)

Well after to many weeks away the workbench has resurrected itself at the new house and is finally in a usable state as of the weekend just past..

SAM_1829_zps3ea94005.jpg

I have posted the complete process on my blog
http://webbynz.blogspot.co.nz/2014/05/11-diorama-or-workbench.html

Now to start the building. AC Cobra in 1/16 and Fiesta WRC 1/32 for local club GB's first off the rank.

So not exactly a "man cave" shot, but it is at least a shot of some of what I have been busy with over the summer, getting ready for when the wife I and finally get into a new place where I will have my own place to set up shop. In the mean time I have been busy putting together a few things to make it more "homey" if you will :)

So for today I will share a few shots of a 90 % done spray booth I cobbled together, just needs to be painted/finished and the fans wired up once we get moved (soldering iron is packed away in one of the many boxes that make up my big pile of junk in storage right now.

Before anyone has a fit about the fans, I don't put a lot of stock in the flaming fan, unless someone is trying to
use rattle cans with a propane propellant. I have built other booths with bathrooms fans or what ever odd or end I could find to work. and not had a problem. But I don't pray rattle cans inside to hard to get rid of the noxious cloud afterwards.

The fans are just higher speed computer fans (120mm) and there will be lighting in the booth as well (yes that is packed away as well :'( )

Anyways more later when I put together the next work table assembly and do the last fitting before, yes you guessed it pack that up as well.

What will you be using for filters?

That's is a great looking booth. Something that keeps nagging at me is to build one, and like you mentioned, flames are low on my worry list. Im spraying 95% acrylics and even if you have isopropyl or lacquer paints getting the air/fuel mix just right, at the same time as a spark is very unlikely.

You can see my old setup above, 3 months in everything is actually sorted and tidy (especially considering this was between builds)

Click for larger images.

So, its been about 4 months in the new place and I finally have almost everything where I want it, and can find it.

I got more storage bins under the desk for bigger stuff, surface mounted where i can watch youtube etc while working, drawers etc tidied up, to the point I have spare ones, and kits semi sorted.

Rather than fill a page with images you are welcome to click on an image for the full size version.

Spray area with booth. Thinners, cleaners and clears on the shelf (most used beside booth). Lesser used paints, mixing cups, airbrushes in the drawers.

To the right of that is
Main work area (cleaned up between builds). The paint racks are actually cheap nail polish racks, they will hold anything smaller than an alclad clear/primer bottle.

Under that is
Storage, mainly diorama/bases/spares/accessory kits. The wood elevates the work area to a comfortable height for kneeling chair which is the most comfortable way I have found to sit and move around workarea. Cheap 'nail drill' under bench works great as a budget dremel alternative.

Under the spray area is more storage for primers, rattle cans, reference material, paint stands etc and of course compressor on the left. Hairdryer for speed building :)

To the left of the spray area is my computer desk etc. Those hose vents hot air from nas etc out the same window the booth vents out.

Directly behind the computers is the stash (the door is like that as this room is above the garage) end of workbench on the left of shot.

Out of box Star Wars kits and Real grade Gundams

More Gunpla

MAK. Figures etc

Stuff from movies/tv and some aircraft.

Thunderbirds and the big boxes live up there

Large Gundam kits and something to keep the bugs away as this room always has at least one window open and 1 light source.

Star Wars shelf, well the other Star Wars shelf

Kits

More kits

F1 and overflow kits

More F1, some other auto kits, a Gloomy Bear and the bike kits just outta frame on the right.

Shelf of doom

Good grief man that is a pile o' kits! ;D haven't put mind to filters yet, other than either 16x24 or 16x25, just to keep from blasting paint right on the fan blades themselves, it is going to get ducted out a window.

Something about seeing all those little bottles of paint all lined up neatly like that just makes a place feel like home :)

Heh, my bench still looks pretty much the same as it did when I posted to this thread back in 2009 (see this page: http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,39.30.html)

Had a real tidy ready for my next biggie

Made some paint shelves from some old bed slats

Picture%2520417.jpg

Put everything that was on the bench into my unused tool box from the garage

Picture%2520422.jpg

the full effect

Picture%2520419.jpg

Picture%2520420.jpg

Picture%2520421.jpg

Take care

Gag

Had a bit of a clean up and made/installed a few things.

15516224406_b871eea5ea_b.jpg

Oil paint holder (made from an L piece of aluminum and painstakingly cut on a chop saw!)
15516219726_d84b58ed3d_b.jpg
14919745903_eab853ef55_b.jpg

Tool holders
15353770568_f6723a10ed_b.jpg
15516221216_eac7da742b_b.jpg

Plastic holder (made from an old Amazon Kindle box)
15353303999_e0bd586838_b.jpg

and

Artwork
14919177334_fac2856b51_b.jpg
15353909997_3f9bf52fbb_b.jpg
15353910587_1f1f932b50_b.jpg

That is a good looking work space Ian, love the print in that last picture. Hopefully, I will get some shots of my new workspace up right soon,the wife and I are moving into a new apartment, with one room for me and my "crap" ;D. And I think moving my "crap" wore her out today, we got back after the last run of carting boxes, and she crashed hard, within 5 minutes she was out like a light.

Finally part way through the moving, and I took a bit of time to start emptying some boxes, and getting things a bit organized. I still have a ways to go yet before I get any full "mancave" shots but consider this a teaser at least. ;D

Latest posts

Back