Show us your mancave(s)!

Well since all my gear is packed, along with the kits, paint etc. I had to do something to help pass time, so after a long look at the scraps in the garage, I decided to start building myself a cabinet for paint, tools etc, far from done yet. This isn't exactly a "mancave" but it will go in a mancave/corner/next to a dining room table when the dusts settles and I am finally resettled with my wife and son, and this D**med immigration process is behind us.

Not to mention, it is hard to keep popping in here, and never have nothing to "share", so with that.....

My cabinet of ego ;D

Ant eye view (hard to take shots in a garage where you barely have room to move, especially with the threat of rain today, can move crap out to the driveway to clear space so don't mind the interesting camera angles...

Selection of ten drawers, 6 1&1/2" deep, 3 2&1/2" deep, one about 5&1/2" deep

The two separate areas of the cabinet, bottom half drawers, top half paint storage..

Six double tier shelves, about about 108 inches horizontally per shelf for small bottles etc...

More detailed shot of the shelves, I have cut up the better part of a sheet of 1/8' baltic birch ply, to make fronts for the shelves so that bottles and such can fall off...

The piece in the bottom of the paint area of the cabinet, at the back with all the square holes, will be a paint brush holder, there is also one more double tier shelf in front of it, the rest of the bottom of the floor will be used to park a small clamp rack.

Still to come, drawer fronts, hardware, door, lighting finishing off the shelves hiding assorted errors :)

Did a quick update to my homemade spray booth.

- Felt the box fan wasn't pulling the fumes out as much as I wanted so ditched that and bought a Tjernlund M-6 Inline Duct 6" Booster Fan with 530 CFM from Amazon.

2013-09-19%2017.39.13.jpg

Installed that on the other side of the model room, and wired a new socket for it. I'm using a wireless switch to turn it on and off when needed.

1WESGEs.jpg

In the model room the box fan is now gone so it's a straight attachment to the booth now.

2m2VrA4.jpg

2013-09-19%2017.38.18.jpg

I also swapped out the lights and did an overall clean up.

va2a9Fa.jpg

So far the noise is a little less, and the air draw is a great deal more. I mean I don't feel like I'm getting sucked in but it's better than the box fan.

Well I got all set up in my apartment a few months ago and figured its time to finally get a pic of the new cave up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks great, though I'd maybe consider a filter on that fan and get some more light at your work area!

WebbyNZ said:
Is there anyone who does not have a row of AK washes somewhere :)

Me! My rack is all GSI Mr color/Mr hobby. No shops around here sell AK.

But I've also found it funny how everyone seems to have a row or rows of AK.

hey! Dont mind the mess, just move verything around but here's the new and improved BigJeff lair:

2013-09-30114151_zps99323f2f.jpg

Added the corner desk (50$ at XS Cargo!!) and the paint rack on the wall
2013-09-30114008_zps10837071.jpg

2013-09-30113916_zpsf6fdc9ed.jpg

I posted a DIY on how i made the paint rack for free in under 2hrs (drying time included) http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,10039.msg158731.html#msg158731

I REALLY like it because now i got a painting corner and a building corner :)

I will clean it up some when i get back from work....but it'll nver be tidy!

Still to come:
-More lighting (in the mail)
-Cheapo paint booth

Very nice.
I found it useful keep sanding dust and glue away from the paint spills and overspray :)

Looks like there is still room to grow the area as well.

I see speakers but no laptop/stereo?

WebbyNZ said:
Very nice.
I found it useful keep sanding dust and glue away from the paint spills and overspray :)

Looks like there is still room to grow the area as well.

I see speakers but no laptop/stereo?

Well, my wife occupies another portion of the basement for her painting, but I still got a spot for a spray booth and photography that are going in later
As for the speakers, they are for my tablet for now but I am rebuilding a laptop for the shop:)

some nice set ups here!

mine is just a storage closet in my apartment, a bit on the small side but gets the job done

DSCF8807_zpsa1a55c02.jpg

DSCF8806_zps4a4361ca.jpg

StyreneStylist said:
some nice set ups here!

mine is just a storage closet in my apartment, a bit on the small side but gets the job done

DSCF8807_zpsa1a55c02.jpg

DSCF8806_zps4a4361ca.jpg

Nice set up, I know once my wife and son get here from the Philippines, our plan is to move into a bigger apartment, and I am going to be facing not only the challenge of keeping everything safely locked away from a curious six year old, but also finding space to set up.

I am in the process of build a desk and cabinet for my gear,while trying to keep an eye on rentals. With an eye towards places with either a third bedroom, or a "big storage area/closest as well". And that is no easy task, when you want to set up for airbrushes, compressors, work space etc. and don't have quite the same flexibility as if it was you "own" place.

So let me ask, I see a compressor on the floor, and rattle cans on the shelf, how do you handle ventilation working inside a closet space?

I just airbrush there on the desk. spray paint I go outside or in my shed out back in the winter
90% of my airbrushing is with acrylic so never noticed any problem with fumes etc.

Here is my new place for modeling...does not seem a modeling workbench...everything is so clean !! ;)
12001_zpsdc1696c4.jpg
12002_zpsefd1f365.jpg

I really like that counter space opposite your computer desk, especially the things underneath, looks like a great way to archive stuff. Are those giant binders?

Ok still not technically a "cave" but it is a piece of a cave "to be!" and still in progress, but at least it is progressing!

to5m.jpg

A shot of the paint shelves on the inside right of the cabinet, done except for final finishing. Yeah the cabinet is still on it's side on the work table, so still with the odd camera angles :p

zye5.jpg

The beginning of getting the drawer fronts on. can't seem to find one piece of ply do do the whole thing with a matching pattern, so I am doing it with a few smaller pieces that sort of resemble each other. and purposefully staggering the darker brown area instead of trying to mickey mouse the patter in the wood together. And since this bit of work was to use up the scraps in the garage, I resisted the urge to buy more stock.

wn3p.jpg

More of the drawer fronts, just have to clean up the mark up lines for the hardware, round over the edges, and add the hardware to these ones.

z5g1.jpg

Got a door built up for it, not attached yet. I still want to build a rack in the inside of it beside the porthole windows for my airbrushes, and a shallow rack to hold rulers, straight edges etc. in the bottom half.

n0a2.JPG

With a little imagination, you can almost make out the paint shelves through the window port.

Just a couple more small bits to do, then I will have to roll this mother over on to it's other side and repeat the paint shelves on the other side and the back, finish of the rough work on the inside of the door. Then slide this mother off the table and finish 'er up, then drag it's carcass inside to apply the finish where it has to go. Hopefully I will see this done in the next few weeks. Then I can get on to building out the next bit of this set up.

Latest posts

Back