Show us your mancave(s)!

Thanks. It's a work in progress. Soon I'll be moving and I'll actually have a room to myself, so then I can start doing all my modeling and everything inside. The garage is a sauna.

image_zpsc0768f59.jpg

So here's my dungeon....I've added some lights and the dehumidifier on full blast has taken the levels from 87 to 56% overnight. I have a ton of cleaning to do and a lot of power strips to install for the gear. It's not my ideal, but its a useable space and its allowing me to continue the craft. Off to the far right will be paint, center will be construction and workdesk and left will be heavy construction/fabrication/electrical work. I'm setting up a dedicated photo area somewheres forward of the left desk. Extension cords and frustration lines my future, boys!

image_zps4dac4601.jpg
image_zps81ee1142.jpg
image_zpsf3ad7f8a.jpg

Sort of a quick rundown from Left to right of my progress so far....there's alot of space but still kinda of odd to fit everything in

Here is mine. Not much to look at tbh. Having to start again after all these years sucks lol. Airbrush and Compressor coming this week. My paints are in the draw system.

IMGP0266_zpseb727394.jpg

Pitstop, looking forward to seeing that Mclaren come together.

Well a couple of 1800cm wide and 180cm deep desks arrived today so this weekend ill be rebuilding my current setup.

I have been super happy with it for the last couple of years but im now finding myself working on bigger projects with lighting etc.
Im also often working on more than 1 kit at a time and there is just enough room.

But the biggest reason is that i wanted something more ergonomic as i was getting a sore neck hunching over to the low workspace.
I have a new lower kneeling chair and the new desk will be propped up for comfort and to allow more storage underneath.

Overview of "The Cave" that houses my models, collectables and computers and the wifes sewing, crafting space.
aa_zpse556b103.jpg

Display cabinet i picked up cheap, was originally designed for sunglasses and watches so is well lit and houses random collectables, 'shelf queens' for now.
And some little drawers with things like scribers, saws, batteries, cutters etc
aa_zps44b87aac.jpg

The bench, which as you can see is kinda cramped. Currently working on 'streetbiking' a Yamaha VMax
aa_zps7ec10c53.jpg

And on my right are more paints, spare parts, larger drawers for electronics, diorama stuff, weathering etc.
My portable (not anymore) spraybooth with cleaners etc underneath along with rattle cans.
Out of shot are my Zero Paints, Gloves, aribrush stuff, spare paints etc and the compressor.
aa_zps10654fe9.jpg

WebbyNZ said:
Pitstop, looking forward to seeing that Mclaren come together.

Well a couple of 1800cm wide and 180cm deep desks arrived today so this weekend ill be rebuilding my current setup.

I have been super happy with it for the last couple of years but im now finding myself working on bigger projects with lighting etc.
Im also often working on more than 1 kit at a time and there is just enough room.

But the biggest reason is that i wanted something more ergonomic as i was getting a sore neck hunching over to the low workspace.
I have a new lower kneeling chair and the new desk will be propped up for comfort and to allow more storage underneath.

Overview of "The Cave" that houses my models, collectables and computers and the wifes sewing, crafting space.
aa_zpse556b103.jpg

Display cabinet i picked up cheap, was originally designed for sunglasses and watches so is well lit and houses random collectables, 'shelf queens' for now.
And some little drawers with things like scribers, saws, batteries, cutters etc
aa_zps44b87aac.jpg

The bench, which as you can see is kinda cramped. Currently working on 'streetbiking' a Yamaha VMax
aa_zps7ec10c53.jpg

And on my right are more paints, spare parts, larger drawers for electronics, diorama stuff, weathering etc.
My portable (not anymore) spraybooth with cleaners etc underneath along with rattle cans.
Out of shot are my Zero Paints, Gloves, aribrush stuff, spare paints etc and the compressor.
aa_zps10654fe9.jpg

She is all done now bud http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,9429.0.html

And holy mother of god thats some man cave. I dream of a cave like that.

So I cleaned up and reorganized the lab. I was just never really happy with the way it was laid out. I built a shelf for my paints and assorted other bottled supplies. I am still deciding on how to properly shelve my Vallejo paints. Right now they are in the suit case thing they came in. The table lamps have high powered LED bulbs. Combined they put out over 3000 lumins. ;D

Agreed ! That table and shelf setup is top notch. Clean and sterile compared to my dungeon hovel :)

search youtube for 'paint rack' or nail polish rack' as the bottles tend to be about the same size.

36 hours in and i can use my computer and i could build if i wanted to. photos to come

dkev, very clean and tidy setup. im jealous.

Ok. So after a 4 day weekend and many small bumps and bruises I have acheived about 90% of my original vision but im 100% happy with the end result.

It started with this
aa_zpse556b103.jpg

And finished with
aa_zps23b9c1ea.jpg

The steps inbetween were also documented in part.
First the wifes computer desk was broken down and her stuff moved out the the dining are (that was never used for dining)
Then the old modelling corner and desk were removed

The couch became a dumping ground/transition point

Desk setup and raised to a better ergonomic height, and it will also now take shelves etc underneath.

My computer desk was dismantled and space cleared for desk #2

The desks before and after 'lifting'

Random shot of the old stash while i had the space to get it in frame and before the shelves at the bottom are removed

Its all coming together, well kinda

Old modelling desk is back as a computer desk. Race seat fits perfectly in the corner (unless you are over 6 foot)

Airbrushing area setup. Storage underneath for reference materal, spare paint, rattle cans etc. Its looking cleaner at last

What I use to store my commonly used tools. Its designed for making ice cubes that will slip into the neck of water bottles.

Some people have asked about my budget paint shaker, better known as an electric carving knife with the lid from a Tamiya rattle can taped on, other paints just drop in and can be held in place with 1 finger. I do recommend grinding back the teeth for obvious safety reasons.

I have also fitted a cheap extractor fan in front of my work area to try and draw away paint and glue fumes since ill be closer to the subjects in the new setup.

Fits perfectly. The remote powers the display cabinet, extractor fan on the desk and the extra inline extractor ive fitted to the spray booth for extra 'suck'.

Latest posts

Back