Should I just build dioramas?

Kiwi

Hi everyone.

In the last weeks, I have been thinking about the fact that I started modeling N scale structures one year ago but I don't have a model railroad layout yet. Then, I thought that, instead of building a model railroad layout, I could just build dioramas.

I love modeling, painting and weathering. I am not sure I would love the electronics and electricity stuff. I am confused.

What should I do?

I love dioramas, and I would love to build a model railroad.
I would only want two or three trains tops (all trains that run in Japan that give me the rose colored glasses from my time there). But I am probably not going to do it, because space, cost, and time. Cost being my biggest deterrent, those things get unreasonable fast, lol. So I trend towards vignette's, and sometimes dios.

But you should do whatever moves you!

...I love modeling, painting and weathering. I am not sure I would love the electronics and electricity stuff. I am confused.

What should I do?
There's no rule that a diorama has to include electronics. That's up to you.

The late Shep Paine, a Grand Master figure painter, master modeler and diorama builder, built dioramas for the old Monogram model company, using their kits. He wrote brochures that were included in those kits, with photos of his dioramas. Monogram's goal was to increase sales of its kits, but Shep and Monogram both wanted to encourage modelers to try their hand, improve their skills, and enjoy themselves.
This is Shep's page with uploads of those brochures: http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/
I encourage you to have a look at them, and remember that he did that work when there was no aftermarket, it was all experience and imagination. Again, his point was to show us that we could all do something like that, just had to try it.

Or to put it the way another modeler once put it, "Build what you like, the way you like!"

Hi everyone.

In the last weeks, I have been thinking about the fact that I started modeling N scale structures one year ago but I don't have a model railroad layout yet. Then, I thought that, instead of building a model railroad layout, I could just build dioramas.

I love modeling, painting and weathering. I am not sure I would love the electronics and electricity stuff. I am confused.

What should I do?
Stephan;

Micro railway layouts are a thing now. Especially, in the small scales, there are many opportunities to not only build and base your models but have trains running through those dioramas also.
FernessQuay1_web[1].jpg
A google search (use the link) Google Image Search (Micro Layout) will give you some ideas. The layout above is just one example of a layout that can be used, and operated in a realistic manner. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back