Shipping from US to Canada

DaneBramage

If something is over 4 pounds to my dismay USPS is forcing us to use the more expensive Priority Mail International. There fore UPS may be cheaper if you want anything from me and you are in Canada please consider this and tell all people you buy from in the US if UPS doesn't deliver to you. This is horrible for business. What was 20.00 last year to ship to Ca is now 39.95. It's crap because I have many Canadian friends and now its becoming cost prohibitive to even make trades. Grumble rumble blah blah...

What Canadian post to USA? how's that running?

Scott (Girvan) and I have mailed things back and forth many times, postage both ways sucks. Small packages are easily 25-30 bucks, and it's only and 11 hour drive. Yet I can Priority Mail Flat rate to California for 6 bucks. It's ridiculous.

Normally if he sees something on Ebay in the states, he has it shipped to me, then when we meet up somewhere, I just hand it to him.

Actually Canada Post to the US is worse, anything over 2lbs and it is forced into Expedited, which usually runs a min. of $25 depending on where it is going and the weight, and goes up from there.

Tell you friends if they are looking for a Canadian shop to buy from, look no further than Elm City Hobbies

What's funny is that the kits I have ordered from China and Hong Kong were cheaper to ship than kits from Canada and Europe, but I do not know if the shipping costs reflected the full, accurate shipping costs.

Shipping from China is normally by the water. I just purchased some alligator clips off evilbay from Hong Kong and shipping was only $4 to the USA. Took ten days but still coming from Hong Kong I was content with ten days for $4 LOL. I wish Shipping wasn't so much from Elm City Hobbies to PA because I would love to support Scott and his shop but shipping just kills the idea :(

hooterville75 said:
Shipping from China is normally by the water. I just purchased some alligator clips off evilbay from Hong Kong and shipping was only $4 to the USA. Took ten days but still coming from Hong Kong I was content with ten days for $4 LOL. I wish Shipping wasn't so much from Elm City Hobbies to PA because I would love to support Scott and his shop but shipping just kills the idea :(

10 day shipping from China is not by water. It's definitely by air.

10 day shipping from China is not by water. It's definitely by air.
[/quote]

I stand corrected Pony, I just checked the listing again and you are correct, shipping was by Airmail. My bad. Sorry man. Ha, some reason the water was stuck in my head lol. Long day Mate!!!!

hooterville75 said:

Shipping from me to you wouldn't be that bad, as long as it is kept to under 2.2lbs. If it is, Surface is like $12, and air is like $15 at the most. Of course it doesn't take much to get over 2.2lbs, but you can fit quite a few Vallejo bottles in there for that weight! LOL

Elm City Hobbies said:
hooterville75 said:

Shipping from me to you wouldn't be that bad, as long as it is kept to under 2.2lbs. If it is, Surface is like $12, and air is like $15 at the most. Of course it doesn't take much to get over 2.2lbs, but you can fit quite a few Vallejo bottles in there for that weight! LOL

Yea that stinks too because here in the states we can mail stuff in a flat priority parcel for a lot cheaper then you can mail from Canada. The last package I shipped to my mother in law in Calgary, Alberta, Canada was like 14 lbs and I shipped in a flat rate priority box for under $20. Out of curiosity how many Vallejo paint bottles (Model Air or Model Color, dont know if they are a difference in weight), could you fit in a package up to two lbs ? I'd seriously like to do business with you because of your involvement in this site kind of a way to be partial to you in support of SMA. I'm all about supporting those who support us if ya know what I mean. Hense the Badger airbrush lol.

Hooter, I just did a quote for a guy in Argentina for 10 bottles and it came in at about 1lb with the shipping box, so I would say you can get roughly 20bottles for under 2.2lbs before it would go to the next level of shipping. And even then the box is so small I don't think it would be that much for shipping.

Gotta know the tricks of the trade when shipping. While weight does make a difference, it is the thickness of the box that makes the greatest difference. Thinner the box, usually the cheaper the shipping, to a certain degree.

hooterville75 said:
Yea that stinks too because here in the states we can mail stuff in a flat priority parcel for a lot cheaper then you can mail from Canada.

Small flat rate box (8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8) priority mail (2-3 days) here in the states is $5.35 up to 20 lbs.

Medium flat rate box (13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8) priority mail (2-3 days) here is $11.35 up to 70 lbs.

Both those boxes to Canada are $12.95 - $32.95 respectively ...except it's down to 4 lbs and 20 lbs respectively.

So it's more than double the cost for me to ship to NB than it is to ship three times as far to California at a fraction of the weight... all because of a border.

Ridiculous.

It's easier/cheaper for Scott and I to meet in Maine and exchange them in person. lol

Ken Abrams said:
hooterville75 said:
Yea that stinks too because here in the states we can mail stuff in a flat priority parcel for a lot cheaper then you can mail from Canada.

Small flat rate box (8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8) priority mail (2-3 days) here in the states is $5.35 up to 20 lbs.

Medium flat rate box (13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8) priority mail (2-3 days) here is $11.35 up to 70 lbs.

Both those boxes to Canada are $12.95 - $32.95 respectively ...except it's down to 4 lbs and 20 lbs respectively.

So it's more than double the cost for me to ship to NB than it is to ship three times as far to California at a fraction of the weight... all because of a border.

Ridiculous.

It's easier/cheaper for Scott and I to meet in Maine and exchange them in person. lol

And then through the mail there is always the possibility of US or CDN customs getting involved and assessing the taxes. Which for the most part I don't mind so much, because I mean lets face it...we gotta pay our taxes. The problem I have with CDN Customs is if they assess duty/taxes on your parcel, they also add a $5 charge (or an $8 charge if they decide to open it to do a thorough check), for doing their job. That's the part that burns my butt....they are already being paid to do their job, why the extra charge? Don't know if US customs do this to parcels or not.

Latest posts

Back