ship railings

noc5659

Help. I am going nuts trying to figure out which type of railings go on a Ticonderoga class crusier in 1/700 scale. Any suggestions I keep seeing 3 bar 4 bar 45 degree....

I faced with same dilemma last week on the ship I am working on and came to the conclusion that at 1/700 scale its going to be impossible for the pe to be correct in size. On other words even if you get the correct type they will still be too big. :( I looked at some reference pics of the ship you are working on and it looks to be two bar.

Hi, guys, I was thinking the same thing as ECH has suggested, several of the aftermarket suppliers (besides Eduard, there's Gold Medal Models, Tom's Modelworks, White Ensign Models) have photo-etch sets for US Navy ships. The only caution is that I don't think anyone has done any sets specifically for post-war classes, such as the Ticonderoga guided missile cruisers, so you may have to adapt the existing. However, the differences may be slight enough that only someone who served aboard one, or who is a rivet Nazi ::) would notice.

You could also try using sprue, if you'd like to stretch (pun intended ;D ) your scratchbuilding skills.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the tip guys. I have been thinking the same thing. At that scale who will notice if they are not 100% accurate. I will look into the eduard kits.

I know someone that might know what you need. Go to warshiphobbies.com They have all sorts of photo etch railing from some of the best manufacturers of photo etch. This is where I'm getting all my stuff for a 1/700 battleship row diorama.

But to answer your question, I would think it would be 3 bar railing, however it apprears to be both 3 and 4 bars on certain parts of the ship.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/US_Navy_030903-N-5024R-003_USS_Port_Royal_%28DDG_73%29_departed_on_deployment.jpg

Here is a photo with a clear view of the railing.

Matt :)

Latest posts

Back