Shelf Queens Rekindle the Fire

McKeever

In this hobby, I have had persistent difficulty in finishing what I start. Some difficulty comes up in the advanced phases of production, often times the last few remaining steps, and momentum falters. Examples of sticking points include the wire cage that rests over the gunner's periscope in a stug iii (one of the most delicate tasks I have completed), obtaining (finding the right diameter was the hardest part) and then installing insulated wire for the smoke launchers on an early tiger, installing the chains and pins of spare track holders on a Jagdpanther. Then there are subjects that have resisted completion for a couple years, including a King Tiger that was frought with difficulties, including redoing a fuzzy paint job and redoing the side and front fenders. Then there is a panther a-I had to paint and install that V shaped thing on the commanders cupola and a couple of other repairs from damage that somehow happened after sitting for almost two years as well build and paint the tow calbes to installed during painting. I also had a Stuka 87 b that simply required painting masking and painting the canopy, installing the machine guns, installing the wire that extends from the tail to the canopy. The stug, which will be painted in whitewash over sandgelb held up a DAK IV F2 project that I wanted to paint the basecoat together
Well, over the past month, I assessed several of these projects that sat, took notes of what needed to be done, and just did them. A lot of times it was not my idea of fun or a relaxing time. Slogged down quite a bit of red bull, coffee, looking at pics of models of what I asprie to achieve, listened to a lot of angry but very energetic industrial aggrotech music.
Now the Tiger, stug and IV F2 are primed, and will be painted tomorrow. The King Tiger and Panther are built and painted, with filters, awaiting the washes and pin washes, chipping etc.
Having pushed these projects past seemingly insufferable sticking points, I am now more excited about this hobby than ever. I think it is a lesson I need to draw from when projects get bogged down.

Definitely right about this. Once you get to those last few stages that really test your patience it's easy to want to start another model. But it's a good feeling to complete a project isn't it?

Latest posts

Back