SHAKE DAT PAINT (but not too much!)

Ian

So this happened...

11010995165_a41b2783c9_b.jpg
11011217993_bc1ec572c2_b.jpg
11011086406_73e79b7b5e_b.jpg
11011220933_ee3027f7c9_b.jpg
11011092826_f3caca819f_b.jpg

I added a ball bearing to a bunch of my AK, Tamiya and Alclad bottles for mixing, and I'm now reconsidering the Alclad bottles! A little too much for that size I think and boy it made a mess.

Amazingly I managed to save the nice jeans I was wearing, as I immediately used a cotton bud soaked with lacquer thinner to get out some of the paint. Shirt, floor and drying table weren't so lucky.

Alclad used to put them in their bottles but stopped doing it because of what just happened to you.

If you know someone in the area that shoots airsoft, see if you can grab a handfull of their plastic BBs, it would essentially do the same as the metal BB, just being plastic it won't blow through a thin glass bottle like that.

Honestly don't know what Alclad doesn't go to 100% plastic bottles, some of their stuff is, but a majority are still glass. Plastic ones would be more durable!

Elm City Hobbies said:
Honestly don't know what Alclad doesn't go to 100% plastic bottles, some of their stuff is, but a majority are still glass. Plastic ones would be more durable!
I'd like that very much.

Elm City Hobbies said:

I don't have Alclad paint myself, however I suspect that plastic would not stand up to a cellulose based paints for medium / long term storage. That's why cellulose thinners is in glass or cans.

i havent been using alclad for that long but from what ive sean you dont need to stirr it that mush anyways to get it all nice and ready.

but a steal thin like humbrol could do some good

Neo, if it's been sitting around for a while then yes, you have to give it a vigorous shake.

TiM said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

I don't have Alclad paint myself, however I suspect that plastic would not stand up to a cellulose based paints for medium / long term storage. That's why cellulose thinners is in glass or cans.

I put some of their paint in a plastic bottle when the glass broke, and well it ate through the plastic. So you have your answer....

You would need to use a plastic container marked with an SPI code of 2, which is made with High-Density Polyethylene, or HDPE.

Ian said:
You would need to use a plastic container marked with an SPI code of 2, which is made with High-Density Polyethylene, or HDPE.

I used a plastic container specific for paint. While it didn't eat through the container all the way, it did get really thick and gloopy and the plastic on the container did soften quite a bit.

Looking at the bottles I have, paint comes in different plastic types, so it might have been a #1 or PET bottle?

The same thing happened to me with white spirit and a small dropper bottle - softened and gloopy.

Latest posts

Back