Seafire F.XVII

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Hi fella's

Been a while since I done some building here ,so I thought I'd share this one with you . Im going through a bit of an aircraft mood at the moment ::)

The kit is the Airfix 1/48 Seafire ,and if you like your aircraft this is a must for the stash ;D

DSCF3515.jpg

The kit comes with two sets of wings to give the option of folded or open ,Im going to be doing the folded wings with all external fuel tanks fitted .

Be right back with some building .

Chris.

The building as always starts with the cockpit ,which is quite well detailed ,however I didnt spend too much time in there as Im going to be fitting the pilot which will hide most of it :(

DSCF3619.jpg

DSCF3622.jpg

Once the cockpit is completed the fuselage is joined .

DSCF3626.jpg

And a check to make sure the pilot fits !

DSCF3624.jpg

One thing to note is that when the fuselage is joined there is a slot behind the cockpit ,this slot is supposed to be there its for the canopy to slide along so dont fill it !

DSCF3643.jpg

Continued.....

With the fuselage joined its onto the wing cente section , this builds up nicely with no dramas and has some nice detail on the exposed ribs for the folding wing .

DSCF3632.jpg

DSCF3633.jpg

DSCF3636.jpg

The centre section is then mated with the fuselage I found on my kit that the join at the rear of the wing has a bit of a gap ,but its no biggy to fill in .

DSCF3634.jpg

DSCF3635.jpg

I filled all the seams with Tippex ..or correction fluid for writing mistakes.This stuff is easy sanded and dries very quick ,I sand mine wet with 1000 grade wet & dry

DSCF3643.jpg

DSCF3644.jpg

Continued.....

All the filling and sanding done I started adding the rest of the fuselage parts ,tail feathers, radiators ,airscoop , Still have to add the Griffon engine bulges ,then the fuselage is ready for the paintshop .

DSCF3650.jpg

DSCF3648.jpg

While that lot was drying ,I put together the main wings ,again went together real easy ,just remember to remove some epm's from the mating surfaces otherwise there will be a gap around the edges .

DSCF3641.jpg

You'll notice the big bulge on the underside of the wing ,this is the auxillary fuel tanks ,there is also a teardrop tank to be hung under the fuselage .

So thats where Im up too :D

More later ,and thanks for looking.

Chris.

Wow! I dont remind that Airfix have that high grade of detail. Good work so far. I never heard about using Tipp Ex as putty ;D I have to try that!

Hi Chief,

Yeah Airfix have came a long way with their new releases ,this kit is just beautiful and very cheap compared with some other manufacturers .
The Tippex is ideal for shallow fills ,like minor sink marks or for filling seams ,because it sands so easily you dont risk loosing as much detail as yo would some other fillers ...handy stuff , Oh and it does take the paint well ;)

Chris.

Mr. S!!! Lovely to see this up here!!! Making some great progress!!! Carry on Sir!!! ;)

Work a bit on the rat last night

Hi ya T ,Thanks buddy ....Carry on I shall ;D

LETS SEE IT THEN T ;D

With the engine bulges added along with the tail wheel doors it was straight on to primer :D , once the primer was dry I wet flatted with 1200 wet & dry to check for imperfections ,but it looks good ,so the fuselage is ready for paint .
The wings are being done at the minute ,so I might get paint on later .

DSCF3652.jpg

DSCF3651.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Chris S said:
Hi Chief,

Yeah Airfix have came a long way with their new releases ,this kit is just beautiful and very cheap compared with some other manufacturers .
The Tippex is ideal for shallow fills ,like minor sink marks or for filling seams ,because it sands so easily you dont risk loosing as much detail as yo would some other fillers ...handy stuff , Oh and it does take the paint well ;)

Chris.

A-ha. Looks like i have to try one of these models.

Chief ,yes Buddy they are well worth a look at ,but make sure its a new release and not a rerelease !!, Check the Airfix site it will tell you which ones are new tooling ;) I'll be getting a few more myself .

Just out of the spraybooth ,so few more pics soon ;D

Chris.

Right then .....just out of the paint booth with the first colour on and thats all I can do with this today ,once its completley dry tomorrow I'll shoot the dark sea grey on :)

DSCF3656.jpg

DSCF3653.jpg

DSCF3654.jpg

More tomorrow ;D ...lovin this one !!

Chris.

Looking sharp Chris, Great tip on the white out or tippex... it really come in handy

A Spitfire of any type is always a welcome sight. Looking forward to see more...

Thanks a lot fella's , hopefully get the other Grey on tomorrow ;D ,Thanks for looking in .

Chris.

Cool build Chris. I just read a build of the same kit in the Airfix modelling magazine, looks like a fun kit, and yours looks good.

Thanks Jmac , it is a great kit ...Highly recomended Im going to grab another one myself ;D
I got the dark grey on this evening ,so I'll have some pics tomorrow :)

Chris.

Yeah ...go for it JMac , you could enter it in the group build :D

As I mentioned ,I've been putting the dark grey on ,It should be dark sea grey ,but i find it a little dark for smaller scales ,so I lightened it a little bit ,so when the Klear and washes go on it should look about right ::)

Anyhoo......couple of pics :D

DSCF3663.jpg

DSCF3662.jpg

Couple of tiny touch in's to do ,but it came out ok .
The wings are still taped up ,so I'll get some more pics tomorrow .

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Chris - you might have mentioned it before and i missed it; wings up or wings down?

Latest posts

Back