Sd. Kfz 265 Panzerbefehlswagen 1/72

Baxtrom

Hi,
I know I’m no pro, but a mere happy amateur. And a kleiner panzerbefehlswagen in 1/72 is bloody small you know :)

So after assembly I spray painted it first with white primer, then applied my interpretation of wehrmachty blue-gray by means of artist’s oil paint mixed with thinner, using my airbrush. Then an attempt at weathering was made, by mixing black, raw sienna and thinner and semi dry brushing it onto the model.

Now don’t look too closely at the officer, if the tank is small it’s nothing compared to this dude’s head… it’s like trying to paint the head of a needle. At least for me :)

D64B4FE0-0D35-4449-ABDD-FFC36CE564BB.jpeg

9FA5862E-2128-4A81-A696-7E46D2D1DDD6.jpeg

87BB5586-A815-4285-BB0E-CAC0D255DA15.jpeg

719F8CC7-A9CA-4C7F-997E-EF5F475F21F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good

The overall metallic sheen came out nicely
Thanks
It’s actually the white primer I’m using, I think what happens is that the diluted oil paint retracts slightly when drying, or if it is because of surface tension or something, leaving a tiny rim where the primer shines through. I would say it’s by “accident” but I’ve seen it before and am quite happy with it, so I guess I could say it is by design :)

Now if I only could get the oil paint to naturally form a face also when painting figures :D

Now if I only could get the oil paint to naturally form a face also when painting figures :D

One thing you could do is first paint the face, then after dry, use a very thinned down reddish brown to give it a wash. The darker tone will naturally settle into recesses. If you go to dark, since using oils, you can kind of drybrush back over the areas like the nose and cheeks

Or if you are using oil paints, you could instead put down a brownish/flesh mix and build up highlights of straight flesh color with the drybrushing technique

Surprisingly simple, yet effective

Latest posts

Back