Scroll or band saw.

javelin7369

Hi all, me again with more questions lol. I am contemplating purchasing a scroll saw or band saw for model building. I am wanting to get more into scratchbuilding and I currently have a dremel but would like a saw dedicated to cutting various materials. I have seen some dremel scroll saws available and am wondering if that would be a good idea to purchase one. Any one have thoughts on this? Thanks again and God bless.

You get more versatility with a scrollsaw. Easier to shape cuts that you can with a bandsaw. Scrollsaws can also start at a pre-determined starting point by adjusting the blade. Ergo, start in the middle of the board instead of having to always start at an edge. I hope I'm explaining that right.

If I had to choose either or, I'd go with the scroll saw first. I normally use my Scrollsaw getting odd shapes and my bandsaw to cut straight or a little off shape. I normally use them for woodworking. I never had a need for modeling but I haven't really gotten into scratchbuilding. I'm not sure what kind of blade you'll need to cut plastic though.

I want to add that you look for something with a variable speed. Different materials require different speeds for cuts. For example, a good speed for cutting wood, will just melt plastic and not cut it. This is one of the reasons people have problems drilling holes in plastic with a dremel.

I have one of each.

I have a craftman brand scroll saw, think of this like a "powered coping saw" it is good for cutting irregular or curved shapes. It has a working depth of about 2-1/2 " and it is variable in speed. Different materials not only require different speeds but may require a different tooth count as well. Something to look into.

I got a Ryobi bandsaw (home depot) for $99. This has a 4" working depth and easily changes between different tooth count and width blades, But it is fixed in speed. note that your blade quality matters. this is a lesson I just learned. Cheap blades do not stand up for very long and more importantly are made of inferior metals, these over heat easily which in turn causes the band saw blades to expand. a loose blade then will make a irregular or crooked cut.

I have a rheostat ed extension cord that that may allow for some speed control but I have not tried it yet. I want to figure out if the motor will stand the abuse (some electric motors don't like it when you feed less juice than you are supposed too).

I used to get "saftey points form my employer that could be turned into to Home depot gift cards! I of cource did this and bought tools! So I have a large (and a small)air compressor and MIG welder, a large bench sander, a pair of drill presses and a table saw and chop saw in my "studio" when I am working again I would like to add a bench grinder, a small dremel sized sander, and a modelers table saw (for cutting strip wood)

With any power tool, take a look at what you need it for now, what it could be doing for you in the future and buy something that fulfills those needs. One of my problems is I bought some of the real "budget" end of these tools and I have "outgrown" some of the capabilities these tools provide. In retrospect I should have spent some extra money for tools that have more capabilities (especially the table saw) They are also somewhat bulky to store and use. Keep that in mind when you are buying and shop around some, Lowes and Home depot are always cutting each others throat with tool deals. Oh and watch your fingers.

Thanks all, as always everyone here has been incredibly helpful. My problem I think is that I haven't modeled for a while and now I have a building bug and want to scratch build alot more. :)

Latest posts

Back