Scratchy's Fine Molds 1/144 Millennium Falcon

That is sweet scratchin Scratchy. You're really setting the bar high on this one.

Thanks Scott.

Here's another update. I plan to have the cockpit window frame similar to the Studio Scale Falcon,.... open, with no clear parts. This way it would be easy to view the details in the cockpit without any glare..... and trust me.... there will be details ;D

I cut the small plastic ring from a piece of .030" styrene,.... which is the same thickness of the bottom half of the cockpit that came with the kit. I plan to make this mod so that it just sits on the existing part, replacing the clear piece that was supplied with the kit.

The second and third pics show the ring, cut out, and placed on the clear piece and bottom piece of the cockpit for a size reference.

cockpit01.jpg

merseajohn said:
Awesome stuff man! Such small work expertly done.

Thanks merseajohn, let's see how it turns out :-X

Quaralane said:
Braver man than I am, doing that.

No, no, no.... not "Brave"....."Certifiable". There's a big difference. ;)

As in all things having the proper tools is essential....along with appreciable experience,
and confidence.
Fantastic work!
This think will probably fly around the room and shoot down T.I.E. fighters!
;D

The top left pic shows the front window roughed in. I'll be trimming the bottom half, but for now I'll keep it intact until I have the entire canopy finished. This way, it still has some strength and durability while I work on it.

In the second pic, I remember viewing a thread of a MPC Hoth Base build up, to be more specific, the Rebel Transport. The builder needed some additional armour plate, so he warmed up some styrene and wrapped the sheet around the hull of the model. I thought that would be a good solution to get the correct contour of the top of the cockpit for my build.

I was a little hesitant about doing this, because it was the only part that I had and I didn't want the heat to warp it. I used three squares and some clamps to prevent the plastic from curling when I applied my heat gun to it. I fixed the bottom half of the cockpit kit part to my burnishing tool with some Post-It putty, and pushed the part into the heated styrene. The bottom left pic shows the end result.

The bottom right pic shows the plastic trimmed and with the two other parts pieced together.

The main pic shows it all together with the aid of Post-It Putty on the kit.

Now, I have a good foundation to finish off the cockpit.

finemoldsmillenniumfalco.jpg

Latest posts

Back