Scott's Post Apocalyptic Mayhem

Junkie

Obviously I'm not entering the contest but I am going to build along and release videos.

Plan is an entry for AFTER-LIFE. Really inspired by Road Warrior and Death Race. Gonna have a Big Rig, A car or 2 and a motorbike racing down the highway armed to the max with whatever I can get my hands on.

Don't have pics yet but I do have a question:

With regard to armor plating: would it be heavy steel attached to car or would the thin body be removed and armor added to frame? Just seems weird to attach plates to the side of the body?

I think it can be either way. It would also look good if you would combine those 2 types of additional armor.
Cheers

Not sure what you mean by 2 types? I'm thinking steel plate armor..what else would there be?

Sounds like a cool plan Scott ;D... I'll be watching :)

Chris.

Whatever you do, put some rivets and weld seams in there. That stuff always looks super cool on armor plating.

I meant:
1 adding armour on existing body
2 removing existing body and attaching stronger plates directly to the frame of the car.
I think it would look cool if you made one car attaching additional plates to existing body and second striping of some parts and attaching just random plates on to it.
Or maybe making both of them on one car.
It won't be easy but I think the effect will be worth it.
Cheers

Uppss sorry misunderstood the question.
For sure attaching plates to the frame.
Cheers

I think the best thing to do is think of what could be done in real life. You couldn't weld a real thick plate to a door skin. You'd probably burn right through the car body. But you could probably do it with thinner steel specially if there were some reinforcements inside the door. I'm not any kind of expert but I'm just saying if you think it out a little....

One thing that bothers me is when people build these kind of things and throw reality right out the door. You couldn't just take a tank turret and drop it on top of a car. You have to beef up the suspesion and have some supporting structure on the inside (which you wouldn't have to build if the windows were plated up ;)).. You would probably have to beef up the chassis in some cases as well as the engine. I would even it out a little with a good sized car with moderate armour and guns. A turret on top of a stock Civic would be out in left field somewhere. Cars and trucks with full frames would be good, or beef up smaller ones. V8s would be godd. Maybe a turbo charged smaller engine or diesel. But again, if these are curbsides never to be seen under the hood or chassis, alot of what I'm saying could be discarded. ;D

Any ideas as to what cars you might use??

sounds like great!!! just like the book of ELI, Madmax Vs Thunderdome?

It depends on the vehicle. Older cars had thick (compared to today) steel panels, so you could realistically weld to them. My 1980 Toyota truck had a steel body that would likely stop bullets on its own. Anything modern is made of styrene and cup of noodles styrofoam containers, which you can't weld to.

You could also "weld" a frame over the body and attach plates to that. I forgot exactly what it was called, but look at the side armor plating added to some Panzer IV's and Stug IIIs.

Sounds a bit like the `ol Schurzen style plates, could always add a heavyweight mesh style ones, i think they maybe the `Thorma` style.................or something like that!!..LOL

`Boots`

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the build!

Looks like you might havedecided, but....2 cents...Big heavy modifications, I think, you would want to rip into the body and attach to the frame, lighter "field modifications" might be surfaced mounted or even straddled across to handle both sides. WOW! I think the possibilities are endless with this one! Either way it will look awesome! Can't wait!

Thanks guys. Sure to be lots of questions from me on this -

Boots - Schurzen style plates - found em on Google
Thorma?? I have no clue.

You may want to check out some episodes of Junkyard Wars. They added "armor" to vehicles in several episodes, along with welding all sorts of bits onto cars.

And of course to reference true historical vehicles conversions, all seasons of The A-Team are available on DVD.

Doing some Googling:
Slat Armor:
RG-31_Slat-armor_ArmyRecognition_Forum_001.jpg

D9R_rpg-armor06a.jpg

Side Skirts? Shurzen:
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-154-1986-05%2C_Russland%2C_Sturmgesch%C3%BCtz_III_mit_Seitensch%C3%BCrzen.jpg

201012254838401.jpg

HLX48284-1.jpg

Bolt on armor:
Marine_humvee_with_bolt-on_armor_x2.jpg

Plates welded on:
T34_2.jpg

Scott ,

The Schurtzen would look Bad Azz. Like Panzer IV Turret Schurtzen covering th fenders. The Brackets could Bolt through the Body Panels. The Thoma Schurtzen looks just like modern day Slat Armor. It was actually woven pieces of 1/2" steel rods.

panzer87.jpg
See how the Schurtzen comes around the corner & then to a point ? That would look cool ( IMHO) If it ran down th Front fender & turned to cover th Headlights ! Or just under the Headlights & you replaced th Head lights with MG barrrels !!

panzer88.jpg
Also use the Rear rounded piece of Schurtzen to make the turn on th back of th Car ! ? :eek:

If th Cars are 1/24th, then 1/35th Schurtzen should look pretty cool &cover. You would have to add some Schurtzen type to cover th rest of the Driver's & passenger's side till you got to th 1/4 panel.

Latest posts

Back